x

Feature Request: Bundle items as a single item, pull from inventory individually - combo/combination

Feature Request: Bundle items as a single item, pull from inventory individually - combo/combination

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Inventory: Can you bundle items together as a single item or special?

We have multiple products for the same price.   We offer a 3 for $20 special, which is a mix & match of any three products.   How do I handle the inventory count?   Do I need to add each item with the discounted amount, so at check out I would have to select three discounted items?   Or do I add each item at the regular amount and apply an overall discount?

3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to create a Gift Basket, to be sold as one item, pulling numerous items from s...

Hey @FurnishbyIsa and welcome to the Community!

This isn't something we offer at this time. 

This would be a feature request we can pass up but I haven't seen any other requests for this yet. Hopefully other sellers who are looking for this can add onto the thread!

EJ_
Verified Answer

Re: Can square reduce inventory of two different items sold as one?

Hi there!

Unfortunately for bundle created items that combine two separate items together will not reduce your inventory for each. 

What you can do is create a discount and apply it to the sale when both items are purchased together.

This will reduce your inventory and also reduce the price to the amount that you like. 

Tom
Verified Answer

Re: How to track inventory with a mix & match 3 for $20 special?

Hey @Baconation, thanks for surfacing!

I can see how this would be a bit tricky for your 3-for-$20 special, especially since inventory is a high priority.

Depending on how you need to track your items, I have three suggestions:

1. Add each item individually to the sale, then apply an overall discount.
    Pro: Allows you to track the inventory for each item regardless of being part of the special.
    Con: You would have to ring up the 3-for-$20 special as a separate transaction. Otherwise, the discount will apply to the entire sale.

2. Add each item individually to the sale, then apply the discount to each of the three items.
    Pro: Allows you to track inventory for each item regardless of being part of the special and ring up additional items in a single transaction.
    Con: More of a manual process that may increase the length of time to complete a sale.

3. Create a "3-for-$20 Special" item.
    Pro: It's fast and since the price would be locked, you can add it to a sale with other items.
    Con: You wouldn't be able to track each individual item within included with the "3-for-$20 Special" item.

I understand how automating this would be super helpful for your business and I'll be sure to share your experience with our product liaison team. 

Find step-by-steps on applying discounts in our Support Center.

Hope this helps clear things up for now. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

291 Comments

Hello,

This may be a silly question but thought I should ask. If I have hamburgers, bread, cheese and ketchup in my inventory and then sell a cheeseburger; will the cheeseburger sale deduct from all four individual items? 

hi there, i would like to create a discount code for purchasing 4 items for $20. i was able to use the code but it takes the discount off no matter how many items selected. is there a way to only be able to use the code once the minimum of 4 items are selected?

Not silly at all; I'm looking for this as well. Some of the third party apps offer the ability to create "bundles" or "kits" by treating inventory items as "parts" or "ingredients" and properly updating total counts of all items involved when a bundle/kit is sold. Having this functionality built-in Square would be awesome, but for now try Intrakr or Stitch Labs. For anything but the simplest stock, this is essential to tracking and updating inventory.

Square

Right now, no. There is no way to prohibit use of a promo code before all 4 items are selected. I absolutely see how this would be incredibly useful and we have heard this request before, I'll be sure to pass this along to our Product Liaison team. 

As a workaround, if a customer's online store order is over a set dollar or item amount, you could offer to issue them a partial refund for the discount amount. If the transaction is taking place in person I’d suggest creating a discount for a specific condition, and manually applying it at the time of sale.

Admin

Hey @Baconation, thanks for surfacing!

I can see how this would be a bit tricky for your 3-for-$20 special, especially since inventory is a high priority.

Depending on how you need to track your items, I have three suggestions:

1. Add each item individually to the sale, then apply an overall discount.
    Pro: Allows you to track the inventory for each item regardless of being part of the special.
    Con: You would have to ring up the 3-for-$20 special as a separate transaction. Otherwise, the discount will apply to the entire sale.

2. Add each item individually to the sale, then apply the discount to each of the three items.
    Pro: Allows you to track inventory for each item regardless of being part of the special and ring up additional items in a single transaction.
    Con: More of a manual process that may increase the length of time to complete a sale.

3. Create a "3-for-$20 Special" item.
    Pro: It's fast and since the price would be locked, you can add it to a sale with other items.
    Con: You wouldn't be able to track each individual item within included with the "3-for-$20 Special" item.

I understand how automating this would be super helpful for your business and I'll be sure to share your experience with our product liaison team. 

Find step-by-steps on applying discounts in our Support Center.

Hope this helps clear things up for now. Please let me know if you have any further questions!

Square

Agreed, not a silly question, and it's popular request! For now our inventory will not account for the individual items/ingredients. As you've suggested @eron, there are integrations that will help with more complex inventory needs. Hopefully we can offer more complexity in our inventory management in the future, but for now that would be the way to go. 

You can view all of our available integrations from the Apps page.

I do option 3, then at the end of the month, I print my sales report for the month and go through and deduct all the inventory on my "deals" (buy two get one free; buy three for $21). Sometimes I offer a "buy 5 get the 6th free". In that case I ring up all six then discount one item 100%, so it comes out of inventory. I wish it could be easier.

is there any way to do a three for on option and still have it deduct from inventory.

i.e. selling laffy taffy for .35 each or 3 for 1.00

Admin

Hey @Pischner, it looks like some other sellers had a similar question. Have a look at this discussion and let us know if it was helpful!

We've used Option 1 (add individual product, then apply discount) for 5 years. Super easy with a Quick Key Discount Button.