x

Automatically Add SKU to Transaction w/ Barcode Scanner (Android)

Hello. 

I'm opening a brick and mortar store in 6-8 months, and I hope to use Square as my POS of choice.

I'm fiddling with things, and getting a feel for it. So far, it's very nice. I am trying it out on my Acer Chromebook R11, running the Android app.

I bought a cheap USB barcode scanner from Amazon for like $20. I gave all the items in my inventory a unique SKU. However, when I'm in the register, and scan a barcode, I still have to touch the corresponding search result, even though it's the only result.

Is it the scanner, or is this seriously what the app does? I mean, if I have a unique SKU, and it's the only search result that comes up when I scan the barcode, why does it not add it to the transaction automatically? At any regular retail store they just scan it and it adds the product to the transaction. Is this a bug?

Any insight would be great. Not sure if it's a bug or a setting you can turn on or off.

Thank you!

-Rick Yoder, XBit LLC

Message 1 of 35
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

@RYoder97 - Check out our Supported Hardware for Android Devices, at the bottom is the list of supported barcode scanners, including a few USB models. Note that you'll need to use an USB OTG adaptor for those models. Hope that helps!

View Best Answer >

Message 5 of 35
34 REPLIES 34

i think as of now only one barcode scanner is compatible with square it the socket mobile 7ci

Message 2 of 35

Hi Rick,

Unfortunately, I believe Angie is correct. The Square Register and App only appear to be compatible with a specific scanner. I've tried a couple good USB scanners and have had no luck.

Square provides good lists of compatible equipment.

Best of luck on your new endeavor!

Message 3 of 35

Hello. 

After looking at the supported hardware, all I found was a $129 Motorola symbol that's only compatible with an iPad. Could you please provide a link for USB barcode scanners compatible with Android? 

Thank you. 

Message 4 of 35
Square

Best Answer

@RYoder97 - Check out our Supported Hardware for Android Devices, at the bottom is the list of supported barcode scanners, including a few USB models. Note that you'll need to use an USB OTG adaptor for those models. Hope that helps!

Message 5 of 35

Hi

I purchased my barcode scanner on Ebay for like $70. It is the honeyrwell 1250g  works great with my Android setup.  My daughter uses a symbol scanner and think hers was like $30. She is using a android system also. Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 35

Thank you everybody! I appreciate your quick answers! 🙂

Message 7 of 35

I have to say, I have the same question and I'm surprised nobody here answered the original question...  I'm using the socket 7ci so it's not a compatibility issue.  When I scan the barcode to my android phone, it filters the list but does not add the item to the transaction/order... i have to click it, click clear, click search and then scan the next item... that's crazy!  Can this be fixed or is there a workaround I'm missing?  

Message 8 of 35
Square

Are you using an iPad, @timdawg101? The Socket scanner is officially supported if so, however it's not currently with our Android app. While it may pair, it definitely doesn't sound like it operating correctly. Unfortunately, I can only guarantee the scanners listed on the page above for Android use. Apologies for the experience!

Message 9 of 35
Beta Member

Hi Spenser. I am using the iPad app with the Socket Mobile 7ci, and experience this same issue. It seems that when scanning the barcode, it's really just mimicking searching for an item as if you enter the numbers manually. Then once it finds the item, you have to click it in order to add it to the sale. Then you have to clear out the search, click back in the input field, and scan the next item. Also, if you have more than one variation, even if they have different SKUs, once you scan the SKU it pulls up the general item and you have to click it and then select the variation you want. It would be nice if when you scan a barcode it would add the item directly to the sale and add the correct variation of the item based on the SKU scanned.

Message 10 of 35

I bought a LS2208 Digital Handheld Scanner with stand & usb cord on Amazon for $62.88 it works great with the stand It reads the barcodes I create and print on Avery adds item to the sales automatically hope this helps some one! Lol

Message 11 of 35

Was this resolved ?

Message 12 of 35

Did your Barcode scanner come with a list of 'commands' e.g. a user manual containing bar codes that you can scan to change the scanner's settings.

I'll use the Socket 7ci scanner as an example, since another user posted he's having the same issue while using this scanner.

Socket Mobile provides various support documents for this device on their site, including Command Barcodes Sheet 1D, which lists scannable barcodes to change the settings of the scanner.

In the section titled 'Data Suffix' , located on page 5, the function of the first listed barcode is described as "Suffix – Carriage Return (default) Configures the CHS to add a carriage return after decoded data."  Scanning this barcode should fix the problem described by the Socket 7ci user that posted in this thread. 

Note: Scanning this barcode will not fix your issue, as you're using a scanner from a different manufacturer, and barcode commands like these are usually manufacturer specific. But I'm willing to bet your scanner has the same option, as I believe it's a pretty standard feature for scanners in general.

When a barcode scanner scans a barcode and inputs it into whatever device it's connected to, like the iPad, it's basically doing the same thing you would be doing if you were to read a barcode and enter it into a computer/ipad using a keyboard. The scanner just does it a lot faster. 

When you type a search phrase or a a url in a browser on your computer, you have to hit enter at the end to initiate the search. Just like you have to hit 'Send' after you're finished typing a text message. Setting the barcode scanner to suffix each scan with a  'Carriage Return' is basically just setting it to hit 'Enter'/'Return' each time after it finishes scanning a barcode. If, for whatever reason this setting is turned off, then the scanner doesn't 'press the 'Enter' key' after it's done scanning the barcode, so no item has actually been 'selected' in the Square app until the user selects the item manually.

Message 13 of 35

How about actually printing the barcode?  It doesn't seem like Square has functionality to print the actual barcode?

Message 14 of 35
Square

@mac1 - We don't currently offer this functionality, but it would be a great addition! Check out this thread for third-party recommendations from other sellers.     

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 15 of 35
Beta Member

In order to be able to print bar codes from Square you have to subscribe to the Retail App.

Message 16 of 35

Coming up with the same issue that the barcode scanner cannot automatically select the item that has been scanned.  I'm using the Socket Mobile scanner recommended by Square, I have checked that the "carriage return" is selected.  Still, this is the result:

1. I MUST select the search entry area.

2. I scan a barcode - it find the item, but DOES NOT select it.

3. I must then select the item.  It adds it to the cart.

4. Then I must clear the item in the search entry area, then select the search entry area again...

There HAS TO BE A FIX FOR THIS!

Please help!

Message 17 of 35

Did you find out a way around this ?

Message 18 of 35

The work around is to put the SKU in the item description.  When doing so, it will cause only the scanned item to show up.

Message 19 of 35

Rick,

Can you give please some insight as to which scanner you used? I am very interested in knowing which Amazon scanner you purchased, and what you ended up figuring out?

Message 20 of 35

Hi PopSB.

I got the following USB barcode reader: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00406YZGK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I tried hardwiring it to my phone/tablet with a micro USB to full USB adapter.

I also have gotten this recently, but have not tried it with Square: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01MDKNXHV/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

However neither one of this did want I wanted them to do with the Square app. If every item has its own unique SKU, and I scan a barcode that corresponds to that unique SKU, why can't that SKU just be added to my transaction automatically? Even if you put the SKU in the product name/description, you have to still tap the product to add it once you scan it. A pointless step.

Message 21 of 35