x

Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Is there a way 2 take partial payments 4 an invoice?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Little late with an update here, but wanted to make sure y'all know this is possible with Square Progress Invoices!

You can schedule multiple payments on a Square Invoice by following these steps 

Joe
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Hi there, @LiaJmt - thanks for adding your voice here and checking in on this feature! Good to hear from you. Same to you, @BIONICONE - welcome! 

You may be looking specifically for our newly introduced Deposit Feature for Invoices. This will also allow you to create a single invoice to track multiple payments and reduce the amount of time you have to spend reconciling multiple payments (deposit, follow-up payments) to a single transaction or sale.

Let me know if this is what you're looking for! 

336 Comments

A great deal of my business is sale of custom made items.  I ask for a deposit to begin the build, with remainder due on delivery.  Need help with how to do that with Square.

Is there a way to accept partial payment on an invoice?

I also would like to know this.  If there is option to "Allow Customer to Add Tip" why is there not an option to "Allow Partial Payment" on invoice.  This would eliminate the work around for lay-away issues and accomadate customers who wish to pay with multiple tenders i.e. cash and card,  multiple cards.

Partial payments on a reaccuring basis weekly, monthly, etc would be great feature to add.

Deposits with the option of paying in full.

I'd like to know as well

I have currently been taking the payments via normal swiping or keying, and then using the "apply discount" feature and labeling it as "partial payment" so that I can send an updated invoice to the client with the payment reflected.  Sort of like a statement of their account.  But after looking at the monthly statements, that may be messing up bookkeeping.   I will have to take the payment, cancel the invoice & resend a new one reflecting the new balance due.   What am I missing? 

Square

Thanks for the question - this is definitely a popular feature request that I've heard from some of our sellers. 

Currently the way things are set up, there isn't a way for your customers to pay a portion of an invoice - they can only pay the entire amount. 

Having said that, you could consider editing the original amount and then resending the invoice. To do so, just follow these steps:

1. Visit your Invoices tab  and select the invoice you’d like to edit.
2. Click Edit to update the invoice details before resending. 

Only the updated invoice will be payable by your customer. Also, you may want to add a note to the edited invoice to point out that it's a partial payment. You can send your customer a separate invoice at any time for the remaining balance of the original amount.

Thanks for sharing your feedback on this one! 🙏

I have multiple clients. Is there a way for them to set up an account with me and make payments towards their invoice. Say someone owes me 1200 and they give me a payment of 300 how do I keep their transaction open and on file? Can I use my ipad register?

Square

@thenonis - It looks like we've covered this one before. Please see my response above. 😀

This will be an awsome feature in the future, especially for those designers & photographers out there.