x

How do I disable develop options in order for the Square chip reader to work?

When I went to use my Square reader at the market yesterday this error kept appearing: Please disable developer options on order for the square chip reader to work. I am unaware of how to disable this option. Thank You for your response in advance.

Message 1 of 47
1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Glo99! It sounds like this error is coming from your device and not the Point of Sale app or reader. This means you can disable the developer options from the Settings section of your device! 

Please follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to Settings > Developer Options on your device.
  2. Toggle Developer Options off.

If you canโ€™t see the Developer Options menu:

1. Tap About Device.
  2. Tap Build Number 7 times.
  3. You'll see a prompt on the screen indicating developer options are enabled.
  4. Tap the back arrow to navigate back to Settings.
  5. Tap Developer Options > Toggle Developer Options off.
  6. This will disable Developer Options on your device.

From there please open the Square Point of Sale app and try to connect your reader again. 

Let me know if you're still having trouble. Happy to help! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 47
46 REPLIES 46
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @Glo99! It sounds like this error is coming from your device and not the Point of Sale app or reader. This means you can disable the developer options from the Settings section of your device! 

Please follow the steps below:

1. Navigate to Settings > Developer Options on your device.
  2. Toggle Developer Options off.

If you canโ€™t see the Developer Options menu:

1. Tap About Device.
  2. Tap Build Number 7 times.
  3. You'll see a prompt on the screen indicating developer options are enabled.
  4. Tap the back arrow to navigate back to Settings.
  5. Tap Developer Options > Toggle Developer Options off.
  6. This will disable Developer Options on your device.

From there please open the Square Point of Sale app and try to connect your reader again. 

Let me know if you're still having trouble. Happy to help! 

๏œ๏ธ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 47

I don't see the developer option in settings or About Device in Settings? So not sure where to go or how to disable developer.

I get this error msg., when I try to connect the contactless & chip reader.

Please help.  Thanks.

Message 3 of 47

I'm also having trouble finding developer options on my phone every time I try and connect my card reader it comes up with a message to disconnect the developer I have a HUAWEI NOVA 3E phone how can I fix this problem 

Message 4 of 47

Hi there. Go to Settings and in the search box type "his" without the quotes and turn off "Allow HiSuite to use HDB". Close out of Settings and try connecting to the reader again.

Message 5 of 47

Hi ,after tried many times but can not work now, any further advice? phone is  Mate 20 po

thanks

Message 6 of 47

thank you byzook! This worked for me. Annoying how it wasn't developer options that was causing this. Would never have thought of this obscure option causing the issue without you!!!!

Message 7 of 47

thank you byzook! This worked for me. Annoying how it wasn't developer options that was causing this. Would never have thought of this obscure option causing the issue without you!!

Message 8 of 47

I am also having this issue with Dev Options message the past couple of days, with connection issues for a couple of weeks, seems to be very unstable and obviously not good for business...I've not had this message before with other phones I've used with my square reader, even when I have had DO switched on I don't recall receiving this message, just no connect...

Message 9 of 47
Admin

@DATT Were you able to run through @ Helen's steps listed above? If you're still running into this issue after going through the steps, I'd suggest reaching out to our Customer Success Team.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 10 of 47

Yes thanks Nika, I did that and much much more before I found this thread...Called Square yesterday with no luck. I paired the reader to my phone (paired no problems), and later opened the app after a fresh install. While going through the app allowance prompts the app suggested I needed to reinstall the app, which I did of course but still no luck with the same message. Later in the day I did a manual transaction via the app on my phone, the approval tick message appeared but when I tried to find the transaction record it wasn't there...

Message 11 of 47
Admin

@DATT Did you happen to ask our Customer Success Team about the transaction that isn't showing up? That part seems really strange.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 12 of 47

No that happened after I called them...I've spent too many hours on this issue in the past few days it's done my head in...

Message 13 of 47

FYI this works for Huawei users:

Hi there. Go to Settings and in the search box type "his" without the quotes and turn off "Allow HiSuite to use HDB". Close out of Settings and try connecting to the reader again.

Message 14 of 47

Your post about Huawei users and the Hisuite authorizations. That worked for me. I had developer options turned off and tried everything else to no avail but shutting off the Hisuite authorizations was what I needed to get this reader to cooperate. @SplitTree  thanks!

Message 15 of 47

GREAT IT WORKS !!! 

Revoking HDB options in Huawei settings AND turning off developer options solved the issue for me.

So i can confirm this solution works well for Huawei phonezs (my model : honor 10).

Go to Settings, type his (to display HDB options) and click on "Revoke HDB authorizations",

then uncheck "connection authorization via HDB", and click on "revoke HDB authorizations".

Also Turn off Developer options (if your turn on those dev options, the probleme comes back : you won't be able to connect Square reader again.

Thanks for this nice solution.

Message 16 of 47

I just tried this and it didn't work. 

Message 17 of 47

Byzooks figured it out! This actually works!

Message 18 of 47

I have tried everything you mentioned and called support and still get the same error message. I think this might be a problem with Huawei phones. I went back to my old Samsung S7 and had no problem connecting to the reader. On my Huawei I had to turn on Developer Tools then turn it off because it was already off. Then I uninstalled and re-installed Square. Same message. Very annoying and nobody seems to have a solution. The reader will connect to my Huawei phone then immediately disconnect and give the message that Developer Tools needs to be turned off.

Message 19 of 47

Message 20 of 47

THANK YOU Byzooks!! That worked!!!

Message 21 of 47