x
Beta Member

Square Chip Card Reader not working properly

I've used my chip reader a million times without issue. Suddenly last night it kept directing me to push the button that connects it to the app. I pushed it and it still wouldn't work. It was charged, my wifi was on, I restarted both the app and my phone - still nothing.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Mine won’t work either! Is it possible that they just need to be replaced?

Message 2 of 5

I was having similar issues - my chip reader is plugged into my Square Stand via USB, but it still would intermittently give me an error saying it wasn't connected or unable to read. After multiple attempts at troubleshooting, Square suggested I do a warranty replacement. So I did that, and what do you know, the new one is just as bad. Thought about switching over to the Square Register, but I have heard it's got similar issues, and it doesn't have web browser access, which is a deal-breaker for my dog kennel business.

Message 3 of 5

@doghouse56258 that sounds so weird! Have you had any success pairing it using bluetooth? 

The only thing I can think of is there being an issue with the USB connection. Have you tried using a different micro USB cord to see if that might be an issue? 

Also there could be an issue with the USB port on the accessory hub. To rule this out you would just have to try swapping some of your hardware around to different USB ports. 

Let me know what you find! 🙂

Message 4 of 5

Hello @egphd and @Mfandg, I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble with your Contactless and Chip Card Reader.  We have a great article in the Support Center called Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader Troubleshooting

These steps solve most issues with the reader! 

Message 5 of 5