x

How to set signature screen on Samsung S8+ to rotate to horizontal

Since the oreo update my Samsung S8+ signature screen does not rotate to horizontal, although my phone's set to auto-rotate. Anyone else experience this?

Message 1 of 89
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Leequa - Sorry it took me so long to provide this update. 

I just heard back from our engineering team that the app is performing as expected with some versions of Android's signature screen in portrait mode. They're not actively working on the landscape signature screen mode, but exploring its possibility since I've been sharing all of your feedback with them. 

I'm really sorry that I had to share this news because I know it's not what you all expected. I'm going to continue sharing your feedback, especially around missing out on tips with this smaller screen. I'll keep you updated as I learn more. 

View Best Answer >

Message 55 of 89
88 REPLIES 88

Hello everyone,

I notice that the community had a few posters mention they had issues with Square and the Pixel 2 XL, but those were pre-2018 so I am curious if since then all issues have been resolved and the Square readers are working with the device?

Looking forward to someones response,

Brandin.

Message 2 of 89
Super Seller

Message 3 of 89
Alumni

Hi @brandinarsenaul - I've merged your post here so you can receive updates as we learn more about this issue. Thanks for your patience!

Message 4 of 89

@katieand I can confirm both the Bluetooth and Headphone Jack version of the Square Readers work with the Pixel 2 XL.

Message 5 of 89

been using square for a long time. but now it wont go to landscape mode when I need a signature.all my other apps work.

Message 6 of 89

I have this same problem and also have Samsung 8. All other apps screen rotation works except Square. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Squre app. Also tried force stopping the app.

Message 7 of 89

I've done the same uninstall and reinstall, force stop, clear cache, clear data. I've tried everything I can think of. Restarted my device, ran all updates, nothing seems to work.

Message 8 of 89
Super Seller

This is really weird, I've tagged a Square rep and hopefully they will look at this in the morning.  must be something that changed in the way Samsung implemented an Android update or something.  there was a similar error a few months back when the new pixel 2 xl and Google changed the coding on how android handles screen rotation just on that phone and software combo.

Message 9 of 89
Alumni

Hi all - This definitely sounds frustrating! I wasn't able to find any reports of a larger bug, but if you're still having problems after following troubleshooting tips (it looks like many of you may have already taken them), please give our CS team a call. If there is a bug, we want to be able to get to the bottom of this. 

Message 10 of 89

I just went from a galaxy S7 to a S9+ and am having the same issue. Screen is set to auto rotate and all other apps rotate fine except for Square.

Message 11 of 89
Alumni

Hey @GabeTrout - Sorry to hear you're having this issue! I would follow through with @katieand's suggestion above.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 12 of 89

I just got the s9+ and have the same problem. Has it been resolved yet?

Message 13 of 89

I, too, am having the frustrating issues with my Galaxy S8 not rotating for the Square app.  Phone is set properly to auto-roate.  Everything else rotates, but not the Square app.  Harder for a customer to sign in a small area.  Any suggestions are certainly appreciated.  I re-installed the app, re-started my phone, pretty much everything I could think of.  Still the same.

Message 14 of 89
Super Seller

@Purses4U, since this just started showing up only on Samsung 8 phones in the last few days something has to have changed in the implementation of Android it would seem.  They were looking into it behind the scenes so hopefully they find what changed and how to fix it.

Message 15 of 89

Thanks for your info.  Hopefully this issue will be resolved and we will have answers.

Message 16 of 89

Any positive updates to share with us?  Hope this auto-rotate/landscape option will be resolved soon.  Thanks from all of us!

Message 17 of 89
Admin

Very sorry that your are also experiencing this @ScarfLady. No news yet I'm afraid, we really appreciate your continued patience with this.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 18 of 89

With all the complaints from users and 'apologies' from admin personnel, wouldn't you think SOMEthing would be done to take care of this issue!?  Apparently we don't matter??  Come on, please do something regarding this issue.  It's been dragging on far too long.

Message 19 of 89

Since the Android Oreo update, the Square screen does not rotate on my phone any longer.  I did re-install to see if it fixed it.  How is this really affecting me you ask?  Well, the biggest unexpected issue this has caused, is that the tip amount buttons are much smaller at the top of the phone and crammed together since the screen is stuck in verticle view.  So, people are not seeing the tipping options (or they are just easier to ignore) and they are just clicking the Continue button without tipping.  I can say there is a HUGE difference that I've noticed and I'm losing at least $60 to $100 a day because of this.  Also, since the pay screen is only verticle, clients now have to grab the phone and hold it awkwardly to sign their name to proceed. 

IS there going to be an update to fix this????

Also, why the hell does my spellcheck not work on this forum?

Message 20 of 89

I'm having the same problem the last couple of weeks.  Any solution yet?

Message 21 of 89