x
Beta Member

Square POS - New Hardware questions

Hey there! I had a few questions about the Square POS machine that was just unveiled. First off - the new machine is gorgeous and it's really intriguing.

I have a bunch of delivery drivers that use the mobile square readers on their phone to pull tickets and charge them as soon as they arrive at the door. Will this new POS machine allow me to use existing square hardware (Headphone-jack readers). (I am assuming there will be no interference)

I use Fresh KDS to send my orders to the Kitchen so the food can be prepped. Does this Square POS machine work along with Fresh KDS and other add-on applications?

I also realized that the charge per swipe is completely different. My average ticket is around $10-$15 and I am realizing that if I convert to this new machine I might actually lose out on money. I currently have a percentage rate of the standard card present rate* - would I lose out on money per transaction and is there any way that I could talk to a square employee on get my rate changed to something different? I read somewhere that they might be able to help if your sales are over $250k a year - I am around half that.

Asking for some help here! Any answers are appreciated!

(*2019 Note: This post has been edited by a moderator to reflect Square's updated pricing for card present transactions.)

Message 1 of 7
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Square POS - New Hardware questions

@thecookieconnec Just to a quick update to this post for you and any subscribers -- the new Square Register now integrates with Fresh KDS! Check out our Support Center for more information about using Fresh KDS with Square.

1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

[Note (2019): Square's per transaction fee for card payments that are dipped, tapped or swiped is 2.6% + 10¢. Learn more in our Support Center.]

1.  You can still use all Square devices alongside the new Square Register.  So yes you can use an old Square Stand with an iPad or an iPhone with a square reader.

2. Currently, KDS is not supported with Square Register, but it is on the roadmap to be supported (unfortunately that could be a month or a year from now, I don't know)

3. Yes, the new pricing structure will take a few cents more than the old one.  Once you get to $40 and more it is a savings vs the old model.  One complicated part of the new Square Register is that it is the only device with that pricing structure, so anything paid for on the old hardware is still the standard per transaction fee.  Custom rates don't start till you get to higher gross sales and a bit higher average ticket total.  Once you do get a custom rate it will apply to all hardware including the new Square Register.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

Best Answer

[Note (2019): Square's per transaction fee for card payments that are dipped, tapped or swiped is 2.6% + 10¢. Learn more in our Support Center.]

1.  You can still use all Square devices alongside the new Square Register.  So yes you can use an old Square Stand with an iPad or an iPhone with a square reader.

2. Currently, KDS is not supported with Square Register, but it is on the roadmap to be supported (unfortunately that could be a month or a year from now, I don't know)

3. Yes, the new pricing structure will take a few cents more than the old one.  Once you get to $40 and more it is a savings vs the old model.  One complicated part of the new Square Register is that it is the only device with that pricing structure, so anything paid for on the old hardware is still the standard per transaction fee.  Custom rates don't start till you get to higher gross sales and a bit higher average ticket total.  Once you do get a custom rate it will apply to all hardware including the new Square Register.

Message 2 of 7
Admin

@thecookieconnec Just to a quick update to this post for you and any subscribers -- the new Square Register now integrates with Fresh KDS! Check out our Support Center for more information about using Fresh KDS with Square.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 7

Just curious why the new “all-inclusive” system would not support all previously supported hardware. I am also a restaurant and just use a Bluetooth remote printer in my kitchen but even that isn’t supported, though I didn’t know that until after I purchased the new system. I’m a little confused as to why a new system like this wouldn’t just be enabled with Bluetooth, it seems like such a simple thing that all devices are equipped with. Have to admit I’m a little frustrated at spending so much money on something that actually makes our job more difficult now, as 1/3 of our sales come from the kitchen.

Message 4 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hey @waliflower

One of the main reasons why this hasn't been rolled out yet is the due to the fact that we don't see very high usage of Bluetooth peripherals like keyboards, barcode scanners and printers, especially for a setup like Register, where it's meant for those looking for a more counter-top solution with USB accessories.

I can confirm this is on our roadmap, and the hardware itself supports it, but our Register team would need to do a lot of work on the software side.  

I don't have an exact timeline or ETA unfortunately, but keep an eye out for updates in the future! 

Message 5 of 7
Beta Member

Hello, I agree with the cookieconnec,  the new machine is gorgeous and it's really intriguing.

The Square stand pos system I am using now is not very old but would love to have the New Register.

Is Square willing to trade the old system for a discount on the new?

Message 6 of 7

Hello @colorsofglass, currently we aren't offering a trade in program for Square Register.

Message 7 of 7