x

Trying to add my EIN but my company name is "too long"

The title of this thread has been edited from the original: Company name is "too long"

My business name that is associated with my EIN is more than 40 characters.  Therefore, Square does not allow me to enter the full business name and the IRS does not recognize it to link it with my EIN.

Suggestions??

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Admin

@ScoutleaderAZ Have you contacted the IRS to see what information they have on file for your business? Everything you enter to the Tax Forms section of the Dashboard should exactly match what's on file with the IRS.

If you registered a 40 character business name with the IRS please call our CS team directly who can help you with the next steps.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 10

The problem is that my company name is 41 characters long!

Message 3 of 10

ScoutleaderAZ, where you ever able to get your EIN into the system?

Message 4 of 10
Admin

Hi @Pack76, if you're having trouble updating your EIN on your Square account please call our CS team who can help. Or I can start an email case for you — just reply here to let me know. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 5 of 10

I am trying to setup my account and I keep getting the following error:

"Please go back in your browser to correct the following error(s): Your business name and EIN do not match IRS records, please fix any errors and try again. If you are not sure, you can leave this blank and update it in your Square Dashboard later."

Our name is "Botanical Society of America at Eastern Michigan University". When we try to enter the name it says it needs to be under 40 characters, but any abbreviated name does not match the name connected to our EIN. We're a new student organization at our university and want to set up an account to use at our fundraisers. We also only recently registered for and got an EIN, so I'm not sure how long it takes for your database to update...

What do we do?

Message 6 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey @EMUbotanyclub! Welcome to the Community.

Really sorry you're having trouble with signing up under your business name and EIN.

I merged your post with a relevant thread that had the same issue. Check out @Helen 's post above for more details and next steps. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 10

Hey All, 

I wanted to see if anyone else has run into this problem.  My company name has a special character in it an apostrophe to be exact.  The Square website will not let me put this in for the LLC name when trying to link my tax information, if I then put the name in without the apostrophe it of course does not recognize any documents with the IRS matching. 

Any solutions? 

Thanks, 

Unpack N' Play Gaming LLC

Message 8 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hey @UnpackNPlay and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread where other sellers were having trouble updating their EIN.

If you've tried entering it without the special character and checked to make sure it's what shows on your EIN paperwork exactly already- you might want to reach out to our direct CS team who can help you further.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 10

I got a message from Square that my name and tax ID is not recognized for the IRS. The name that shows in Square is not complete when I try to fix it it doesn’t take. My PC name is too long: Alberto Canizares Comprehensive Psychiatric Services PC. In Square says Comprehensive Psychiatric only. How I can fix this? 

Message 10 of 10