x

I have a lot of items that could be listed under just one name within a category. How do I do that

I have a lot of items that could be listed under one name withing a category. How do I do that?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Square

Sounds like price points may be just what you are looking for! By using price points (also known as item variants) you can list multiple variants of one item all under the same item. For example if you have the same shirt that comes in multiple colors, they are all the same shirt but using item variants you can separate each one into its own section. You can also add different prices to each variant of your items. 

You can set up price points right from your Dashboard!

Message 2 of 13

What if we want more than three variants? I offer products in almost 20 different sizes (rings!) 

Help!

I can't keep track of the individual size inventory with modifiers alone. 

Message 3 of 13

I haven't run into a limit yet for the amount of price points you can have. Just keep adding more. You can control inventory for each price point too.

Message 4 of 13

d

Hi Kelly,

How do I select more than one variant?  Like small size purple color?

Thanks

Message 5 of 13
Square Community Moderator

@RLPotions You would create two different modifier sets for your items, one for size and the other for color. 

Message 6 of 13

Hi

I sell lip balms over 120 flavors same sizes but I want to manage the inventory for each flavor.  What is the best way to do this?

Message 7 of 13
Square

You can create an Item Variant (Price Point) for each flavor in order to track inventory for each, @RLPotions

Message 8 of 13

I publish books ... what if I wanted to list different genres? I.E. "mystery", "science fiction", "western", etc. Would these be price variants, even though there is no price for a genre?

What if certain books -- like the Zorro series by Johnston McCulley -- fall into more than one category? EG "action-adventure" and "western"?

Message 9 of 13

I personally think with that many items, you will want to be think about about how you will ring up the items.

If this is in store and you will be using a scanner, I would do each item as a unique item under the cateogory. This way you can get better reports and you can use the search in library to find flavors. If you do it as variants, you can't search by flavor and reports will say "lip balm (cherry)" as the the report. Another benefit is that you can get a unique picture for each item. This could be useful for online sales.  The drawback to this method, is that it will make it tough to use the register app in any mode other the library view and searching.

If you will be offering the same flavors, but in different pack sizes (1 pack, 3 packs, etc.), then I would add variants And SKUs for the sku under the flavor. If you will be using Bar codes, note that that packs will be unique for each flavor if the UPC is unique.

Opition 2:

Creat a single item called "Lip balm". Create every possible SKU, price point, and variation under that item. This will let you put it on your register screen. To find the item, you will need to scroll through the entire list to the find the item or use a bar code scanner.  There is no search function for variations, only the general item name.

Big picture, think about how you will retrieve your information. That will determine which method you should go with.

Personally, I would go with unique item listing and only use variation for different size packs.

Message 10 of 13

Thank you the information helps!  I only use the register when I attend craft fairs and I use my phone instead of a tablet.  The one point I forgot to make is that at my craft shows I offer by more deals ( 3 for 7 or 5 for 10).  However, I will figure it out.  Thanks for your help!

Message 11 of 13

How do you select more than one variant?

Message 12 of 13
Square

Hmm, how do you have it set up @RLPotions? If you've created price points for an item, only one of those can be selected. If you need to add a different variant to the sale as well, you would select the item again and choose the alternate price point. 

Message 13 of 13