x

contactless connecting issues

first, if the contactless reader shows up as a paired device on my phones bluetooth setting, should it work without any further action on my part? i insert the card, and wait til it says connected, but often it doesn't connect. so i press the button on the reader, and its still either takes forever, or it asks me to reinsert the card. very frustrating

i use the contactless reader for chip transactions with my android phone. i always open the app first, then insert the card in the reader. sometimes i press the button to wake up the reader first, but either way, most times the reader doesn't connect, even when i insert the card first, then press the button on the reader. i'm dissatisfied with its use, it just takes too much time, especially when i have to keep retrying while my customer is waiting. the mag stripe reader is instant. i asked square to exchange my contactless for the chip reader that plugs into the phone. just waiting for their response. 

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller Alumni

First then to do is make sure your phone is on the compatibility list. 

The reader should show connected at the top of the Square screen.  You should turn the reader on before trying to insert a card.  The reader will go to sleep after 2 hours of nonuse.  Unlike the Swiper, the contactless chip reader establishes a secure connection to the servers.  This is why it takes a few seconds, the slower your internet connection the slower it is.

Check out this help article.

Message 2 of 4

We're having the exact same issue. Our Chip reader worked fine for 5 months but has had connectivity issues for over a week. We bought another Square and it had the same problem. 

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

Hey @DocJ - Do you mind letting us know what device you're using?

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 4 of 4