x

Feature request [implemented]: Sales should be attributed to employees who open a ticket

PLEASE READ: Question for the community. I am using the open ticket feature and have multiple employees using the register.  

The employee who starts the transaction is assigned to the ticket. We can transfer employees with the register as expected.  However, if an employee who is not the one assigned to the ticket processes the payment, that employee is credited with the tip for the credit card sale.  This seems completely wrong to me. In my opinion, whoever is assigned the ticket should be the one who receives the tip within the app. I confirmed this because an employee brought it up as a concern. There is no way to find out who was assigned that transaction other than to go to the register and re-print the ticket from the Activity. The reports shows the person who processed payment got the tip even if the ticket was not assigned to them.  

Can someone explain a scenario where this is working as expected? If you agree that this is not working as expected, please contact square and ask them to correct this.

Message 1 of 25
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

UPDATE:

Effective 9:00 p.m. Pacific time on November 30 2016, sales and associated tips will now be attributed to the employee that either creates the ticket or is transferred the ticket even if a manager or another employee closes it.

To credit a specific employee with a sale associated with an open ticket, all you need to do is transfer the open ticket to the employee using the transfer functionality now available within Square Register. 

Hope this helps everyone out going forward! 

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

Hi there.

This sounds to be behaving as intended. 

When Employee Management is used with Open Tickets, you can allow your employees to view all open tickets created from the Square app, or restrict their access to only tickets they’ve created.

By default, employees can only view their own tickets. If you have the permission "Manage All Tickets" turned on, this will allow them to filter all employee’s tickets and transfer ownership of their own tickets.

The employee that closes a transferred ticket will receive credit for the sale.

So if Employee A starts a ticket and eventually transfers it to Employee B, then Employee B closes the ticket, the credit for that sale including tips will be credited to Employee B since they were the one to close the ticket. 

Let me know if  I misinterpreted your post or if you need any more clarification. 

Message 2 of 25

Thanks E.J.  The problem I am having though is we never actually transfer the ticket.  I agree with what you are saying, that if a transfer occurs the person it was transferred to should get the credit.  The problem is that if that transfer DOES NOT occur, then the person who collects payment is the person that receives credit.  Say I as the manager is the only one who does credit card transactions for all my employees.  When I am logged in and take payment, I am credited with the tip, not the employee that has serviced the ticket.  Moreover, the only way to see who was assigned the ticket is to physically print the ticket.  There is no report or export that I can do to get this information.

Message 3 of 25

That's a very interesting use case. Was this the current process that you were using in your restaurant? 

And to clarify, you're looking for a way to manually give employees credits for a sale and for tips in the event a ticket is not transferred or if only one person is closing tickets, correct? 

I'll definitely pass this over to our Product Team to see if they have any insight or future builds on the road map. 

The best workaround I can think of currently would be to use each specific employees register passcode to log in and accept the sale on their behalf. 

This would still allow for you to complete the sale as the Manager, and also give the credit to the sale to that specific employee. 

Message 4 of 25

This is how we are currently doing it at our restaurant.  We only have 1 tablet that accepts credit cards, so we have one person that processes credit cards on a given shift.  At the very least, when I export the transaction data I would like to see both who processed the payment and which employee was assigned the ticket.  Preferrably, the person that is assigned the ticket should be the one that receives credit for the transaction no matter who collects the payment.  If it is to go to another person, the ticket should be transferred to that person first and then payment processed.  That would be more logical (at least from my usage).

Message 5 of 25

Thanks for clarifying!

This is definitely a unique perspective. 

Try using the Employee Register Passcode feature to associate sales to specific employees to see if that helps. 

Hopefully another Restaurant Seller can chime in and help out with their own work arounds that they use. 

Message 6 of 25

We already do have employees assigned different passcodes.  Here is the use case that highlights the issue:  SETUP: 1) Create two employees with different passcodes, Employee A and Employee B.  2) Give them a role that includes "Manage All Open Tickets" 3) Using the register, turn on Employee Management and Open Tickets. STEPS TO REPRODUCE: 1) Employee A uses their passcode to access the register. 2) Create a new ticket, add item of value and save ticket. 3) Lock screen. 4) Login with Employee B passcode. 5) Click on Tickets, and select the ticket created by Employee A under ALL TICKETS. 6) Click Charge, and process via credit card (include a tip).  EXPECTED RESULTS: From the dashboard, click Sales->Employee Sales. Employee A should be credited with the tip and the sale. ACTUAL RESULTS: Employee B is credited with the tip and the sale.  From my perspective, if Employee B was to be credited with the sale, the ticket should first be transferred to Employee B, then the charge process started at that point.  In addition, the only way to find out that Employee A was the one assigned to the ticket is to go to the register, click Activity, and reprint the receipt.  The employee who was assigned the ticket does not appear in the export functionality, it only shows the employee that collected payment. It would be nice to see both when exporting the transactions to CSV.

Hope this helps to understand how we are using the functionality.

Message 7 of 25

Thanks for that @ostram and I do have an exciting update for you!

Our product team recently sent out an email survey about 7 days ago to folks using the Open Tickets and Employee Management feature together. 

The survey actually addresses the exact issue you're describing. Here's a quick excerpt:

"Currently, Open Ticket sales are attributed to the employee that closes the ticket and swipes the credit card. Based on merchant feedback, we understand that some merchants prefer that the employee who opens (or is transferred) the Open Ticket gets the credit for the sale and any associated tips (regardless of who closes the ticket)."

Our Product Team is actively gaining more feedback and insight into the best way to implement this change. 

Hang tight and hopefully we get this improved for you sooner rather than later!

Message 8 of 25

@EJ_ Finally, someone listening to what we are saying. Hope you continue this trend. Hopefully, square is realizing the functionality of there program IS the next step. That is on a multi-use level, not just one cookie cutter, business set-up, a programmers, one size fits all, answer to practical business use. Seriously, this is a good first step. Now, can we get spell check on these posts? 🙂

Message 9 of 25

Best Answer

UPDATE:

Effective 9:00 p.m. Pacific time on November 30 2016, sales and associated tips will now be attributed to the employee that either creates the ticket or is transferred the ticket even if a manager or another employee closes it.

To credit a specific employee with a sale associated with an open ticket, all you need to do is transfer the open ticket to the employee using the transfer functionality now available within Square Register. 

Hope this helps everyone out going forward! 

Message 10 of 25

This still is not working for me.  The tips are still assigned to who collects payment, not to the employee that is assigned on the ticket.  Did this update not go in or do I have to update the square POS on my iPads?

Message 11 of 25
Square

@ostram - Sorry to hear about the trouble! This feature change was pushed about 5 days ago. Updating to the latest Square app is always advisable. Also, signing in and out can often help alleviate these sorts of issues. Let me know if that doesn't do the trick! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 12 of 25

I downloaded the new application, logged out and logged back in.  According to the App Store, we are on the latest version of the software which was pushed on December 5.  I used by passcode to get into the register, entered an item for $1, saved and locked the screen.  I then used another employee's passcode to get into the register, retrieved the ticket, charged my credit card and added a tip.  When I went in to the dashboard to look at employee sales, the tip was assigned to the employee who was logged in and collected payment.  Therefore, I'm sorry to report this issue is not fixed.

Message 13 of 25
Square

@ostram - We'll test some things out our side, and then follow up with you. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 14 of 25

I remember reading a month or so ago that we would be able to track employee sales by who originated the sale instead of who collected the money. This would be very helpful. This would allow me to see who is actually selling items and who is just entering orders with no upselling. Has this been released yet? It seems like the article said end of November. 

Thank You.

Message 15 of 25

That's correct. 

Our Product Team sent out a survey, and it was generally preferred that we update the Employee Management and Open Tickets feature to behave this way. 

Effective 9:00 p.m. Pacific time on November 30, sales and associated tips will now be attributed to the employee that either creates the ticket or is transferred the ticket even if a manager or another employee closes it.

Message 16 of 25

Thank you for the update. Now how do I get reports to show my employee sales. When I run reports, it appears that it is still based on total collected and not sales originated.

Thank You.

Message 17 of 25

@DBRMPizza I've moved your post to this thread. It looks like both you and @ostram were having the same issue. 

Thank you both so much for raising this to our attention. After doing some testing on our end, we were able to replicate the issue. 

We raised this to our Engineering Team and they were able to get this fixed for you. You can view which employees the sales are credited to in the Employee Sales section of your Square Dashboard.

The open tickets should now be crediting either the employee who originally opened the ticket, or who the ticket gets assigned to. 

If you're still running into any trouble, let us know as soon as possible so we can escalate again if needed. 

Message 18 of 25

I had tested this yesterday and it still was not working.

Message 19 of 25
Square

@ostram - The fix just went out earlier this afternoon. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Message 20 of 25

Thank you, it appears to be working now.  Thanks for implementing this feature, it will make my life much easier!

Message 21 of 25