x

Can you update an expired card or does it have to be deleted and reentered?

I have an expired card. The customer gave me the new expiration date and CVV, but said the number is the same. I dont personally store the number other than the last 4 digits. Do I have to delete the card and reenter it completely?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Hello @rweesner, if you're using on Card on File I'd recommend updating the card information on the customers profile. If you don't you'll run the risk of having the card decline since the CVV and expiration date won't match. You will have to enter all the details to update the card. 

If you have any questions please let me know! 

Message 2 of 8

I am having the same issuew with an expired card but I can't get to a place to edit the card information to update the new experation date???  All the other information is the same but I need to update the experation date.  How do I edit card info?

Message 3 of 8
Alumni

Hey @klpromo

Since the expiration date is incorrect, you will need to remove the current information and reenter the correct information.

You are able to unlink or remove a customers’ card on file from their profile in your Customer Directory under Edit Personal Information. Your customers also have the ability to remove their own card by following the link provided to them on all card on file email messages. 

Message 4 of 8

I am having this same issue? Yes or no, can you edit the information? Do you have to delete the card and completely re enter it?

Message 5 of 8
Admin

Hi @Wvalbracht,

No, you cannot edit your customer's exisiting card information. What you'll need to do is delete the card, then reenter the customer's updated card details. To do so from the online Square Dashboard: head over to Directory > select appropriate customer > Cards on File > select ". . ." > Add Card.

Hope this helps get you where you need to be. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 6 of 8

how do I reinter the card information?

Message 7 of 8
Square Community Moderator

Welcome to the Community, @donlane

If you're trying to update card on file for a customer, you'll have to do that from their profile in your Customer Directory. 

You will go to your Dashboard > Customers > Find the specific customer > Click the "..." next to payment options & update the information. 

Here is a Support Article with more FAQ about Cards on File. 

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 8