x

NEW Square Chip Card Reader not working properly

Long story....

Installed app months ago, signed up etc.

Used a friends reader that she was updating and the chip and strip readers didn't work? Weird but we thought maybe it had died.

Was able to make a "purchse" by entering card numbers into app.

Purchsed my own one this week, charged it today, opened app, inserted reader, it updated the reader. Followed instructions for a transaction, inserted chip - nothing? Swiped - nothing? Can still enter numbers manually though.

Followed the troubleshooting steps. Uninstalled, reinstalled, no phone case, internet fine, etc. Tried again - exactly the same.

Anyone have any ideas? Am I doing something wrong?

I should mention I am using a Samsung S6.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Admin

Hi @juanita81, really sorry to hear about the trouble you've encountered. The Samsung Galaxy S6 is compatible with the Chip Card Reader. Thanks for taking the time to troubleshoot.

Are you receiving any kind of in-app error message? Some other sellers mentioned a similar issue in this thread: Reader Updating, always 0%

Hope that helps get you in the right direction. If not, let me know and I'll take a closer look.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 2 of 6

Thanks for replying @Tom. App is 100% up to date. When I attach the reader it comes up with a white box that says it ha been attached. But apparently there is supposed to be an orange box at the top of my screen that says it is getting a secure contection or similar, and then once a connection is made, the orange box should say secure connection, I am not getting either of those. The jack does work... I can plug in head phones and they work fine. Have spoken to someone on the phone...they have no idea either? 

Message 3 of 6

Hello @juanita81!

I don't mean to barge in, but I might have an idea of what happened. Have you made sure the reader is charged? If it isn't charged it will notify you that the reader is attached, but you won't be able to take payments. 

When you plug the reader in to charge, a little light on the bottom of the reader will be orange if it has a partial charge. The light will change to green once the reader is fully charged. 

If this isn' the case please let me know! 

Message 4 of 6

Hi @Chad yes definitely fully charged.

Message 5 of 6
Alumni

@juanita81 - let's have you give our Support Team a call so we can walk through troubleshooting with you and determine if the reader can be replaced. You can retrieve your customer code from our contact page; sign in, click Other, and click "I don't see my issue" so you can send us an email or call us.

Message 6 of 6