x

I received an unexpected deposit - is this a scam?

I received an email this morning, one which I suspect is a scam. Comments:

$4,550.00 payment - Square Payment                                      
Hello
Your square account was credited with the sum of $4,550.00 from a card ending in 5392. Your Square balance after this transaction is $5,634.82.
     VIEW PAYMENT                                                 
Funds will be deposited to your bank account in one to two business days. If you want them sooner, instantly deposit your funds for 1% of the total amount. Learn More
Thanks,
The Square Team 

$4,550.00 payment - Square Payment                                      
Hello
Your square account was credited with the sum of $4,550.00 from a card ending in 5392. Your Square balance after this transaction is $5,634.82.
     VIEW PAYMENT                                                 
Funds will be deposited to your bank account in one to two business days. If you want them sooner, instantly deposit your funds for 1% of the total amount. Learn More
Thanks,
The Square Team 

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Super Seller

This is very definitely a scam. Note how this email differs from others you would receive from Square. The word Square isn't even capitalized in the first sentence. Square doesn't give you a balance amount in emails. The wording isn't something you'd see in a Square email. Most telling, and most dangerous, is that the links do not link to a site that is actually Square or is even pretending to be Square. They link to swareup.com. When you receive an email that you believe is suspicious, do not click on any links in the email. If you're concerned about what the email says, go directly to the Square website in your web browser and log in. Forward the email to spoof@squareup.com and delete it.

Message 2 of 7

I got the same email yesterday. Exact same numbers throughout the entire email. I reported it. 

Message 3 of 7
Alumni

Thank you @davemacq for asking about this email, and @VanKalkerFarms is exactly right - this appears to be a phishing attempt and you can forward to spoof@squareup.com. Thanks also to @craftycauldron for reporting this already - the team here is looking into it. 

Message 4 of 7

HEADS UP everyone... Am receiving two types of scams from supposidly Square transaction.  One is one saying that the account card was outdated, renew by submitting account card with new date,  and this was obvious scam.  The 2nd one just today was from a person in Alaska . the name on it was Micolihchek, Jennifer L from an alaska .gov email.  This one is SERIOUS as it APPEARS to be be Square, with the logo.  It said money was sent to our acount.  and to link to verify...dont be stupid, DO NOT LINK to this. Verify your account directly on a new tab.  I have sent the request to Square about how to report this bull$#!t..

Message 5 of 7
Super Seller

There are so many of these emails. I literally get 1 or 2 a week. 

Spoof@squareup.com is where you can forward it to. 

Message 6 of 7
Alumni

Hey @barbiosheepgirl - Thanks for flagging this! As @VanKalkerFarms stated, it would be great if you could forward this email to “spoof@squareup.com” so that the right team can take a closer look.

As a best practice, I recommend always verifying the sender of a message before entering any sensitive information. If you have a Square account, it's good to keep in mind that Square's sign-in page URL will always begin with www.squareup.com/login and will contain a lock icon indicating a secure and legitimate Square site. You can check out more details on recognizing and reporting phishing scams in our Support Center.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 7 of 7