x

How do you collect customer details, including emails?

How do you collect customer details, including emails?

Message 1 of 46
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Great post! We know how important this feature is for sellers, and I'm happy to report that we have this functionality. 

By using the Square Customer Directory, you can add customer profiles to sales when ringing out from the Square Point of Sale app. With this feature, you can add a customer's name, email address, phone number, company, address, and birthday. 

To add a customer's information to your Customer Directory, review the steps below:

1. Sign in to your online Square Dashboard and click Customers.
2. Click Create Customer.
3. Add your customer's information and click Save.

Also, check out our Support Center to find out all of the other feature included in your Customer Directory! 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
Alumni

Best Answer

Great post! We know how important this feature is for sellers, and I'm happy to report that we have this functionality. 

By using the Square Customer Directory, you can add customer profiles to sales when ringing out from the Square Point of Sale app. With this feature, you can add a customer's name, email address, phone number, company, address, and birthday. 

To add a customer's information to your Customer Directory, review the steps below:

1. Sign in to your online Square Dashboard and click Customers.
2. Click Create Customer.
3. Add your customer's information and click Save.

Also, check out our Support Center to find out all of the other feature included in your Customer Directory! 

Message 2 of 46

Hi,

we are in laudromat business i am using square reatil for sell soap and some other stuff but we also do Wash n Fold service my question how i add my customer information like name,adress,phone,email, and save so when print out his recipet his info on that also when he come back we can search it by his name or phone number .

Message 3 of 46

How can I update my client list?

Message 4 of 46
Square

@Om Check out George's answer for information above on how to update your client directory. 

Message 5 of 46

This is very inconvenient! If we collect the email address to send them a receipt, why should we have to re-collect in the square dashboard? I collected a weekend worth of customers only to find out on monday you won't give me access to my customers email addresses.  Very disappointed!

Message 6 of 46
Square

@OhioSilk - It sounds like you may have collected these emails for receipts, as opposed to be saved to your directory. Apologies for the confusion! Please let me know if you have any questions about the process going forward. Also, thanks for taking the time to share your feedback! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 7 of 46

Is there a way to do both without duplicating the effort? It's not easy to ask a customer to stand there extra time and to have them enter their email twice

Message 8 of 46

It appears that I might have experienced this same issue. Just realized that after all the email I collected today to send receipts, I will not have access to anyone of those. 

Message 9 of 46

Yes it's a scam really. Square tries make your business reliant on them in every way. It worked the opposite for us as we have been looking into other more ethical companies that empower small businesses; not attempt to control them and add fees to everything they do... Yes I'm bitter

Message 10 of 46
Square

@OhioSilk - While I more than happy to channel your feedback to our product team, I can assure you with 100% certainly that we would never try to fraud or control our merchants. I completely understand your frustration with the workflow, and there being extra work - but we build our tools to help our sellers, and then we improve them using their feedback. Just as a follow up to, as this hasn't been mentioned yet, once a customer's email address has been entered once for a receipt, we'll keep that on file, and then automatically send receipts to that address in the future. Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 11 of 46

I need to get in touch with a customer. How do I get one email.  If I sign up for marketing, is that possible?

Message 12 of 46

@oreoman26 Our Support Team can reach out to your customer if they received a digital receipt. Signing up for marketing will not allow you to access emails used for digital receipts.

If you are interested in collecting email addresses we recomend using our Customer Directory feature. This will allow you to create a customer profile and add their contact information. 

If you have any other questions please feel free to reply back! 😀

Message 13 of 46

I'm looking at the most efficient way to generate customer email lists for marketing/invitation purposes. Is there a way to do that with Square? Is there a way to collect a person's email when he purchases an item? 

Message 14 of 46

@Turnpark Welcome to the seller community and congratulations on your first post! 🎉

I would recomend our Customer Directory feature. This will allow you to collect a customers email address before or after a sales. The customer will have to enter their email address into your directory. It will not pull this information automatically.

You can learn more about Customer Directory by using the link in my post above. Please let me know if you have any other questions!

Message 15 of 46

Chad - That is incredibly inconvenient. Why can't I do this during checkout? I need the customer's phone number and email address in order to send them the item! 

Message 16 of 46

We are using Square's online store feature in addition to point of sale (chip reader).  When an online customer gets to the checkout page, there's a field for name, email, phone number, etc. The problem is that OUR email automatically fills into the email slot.  We don't need OUR email, we need their email so that we can email them details about picking up their purchase.  How can we change that?

Also wondering about customzing that check out page a little more.  Is that possible, and if so, where?

thank you

Message 17 of 46
Admin

Hi @Jamie12! Are you experiencing this on your computer/device or are your customers reporting that your email address is automatically being filled in? 

The reason I ask is because if you're testing the checkout flow on behalf of your customers, and you've entered your email address before, your email address will be pre-filled in the check out form.

The idea is to speed up the check out process for returning customers, but I definitely see how it would cause concern to see your email address appear.  (If you want to use a different email address click Sign Out at the top of your screen.)

But if your customers are seeing your email address, please contact our Support team — we'd definitely like to investigate and resolve that issue for you right away.

Also it's not possible to customize the checkout page at this time. If you have some ideas about what you'd like to see I recommend creating a new thread so we can share your feedback with the Product Team! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 18 of 46

I keep reading a response from square which avoided our requirements as customers. I think your square support should spend time at your cust sites to helephant interpret these critical requirements. 

question is simply, when you put a customer sale through and enter a number or email for the receipt, is there a way to store for our use? 

Your answer should be - not from thisscrerm however if you duplicate the process in a completely different app, you may!!

solution - add a box ‘permission granted by customer to store personal contact info for future promo/newsletter use .

this way, ONLY THOSE CUSTOMERS WHO APPROVE WILL APPEAR IN OUR CUST LISTs.

i hope I’m completely wrong and it’s much more simple in our current POS application however will await a response dmfeom square.

Message 19 of 46

Hello @Coralsky, I can provide some clarification on this subject. 

So on the check out screen where a customer enters their email address or phone number, there is an agreement on the bottom of the screen that we will only use this information for receipts and marketing promotions. 

This is why you won't see this information. Although you will still be able to send this customer marketing material. They will be under the reachable customers section of your Customer Directory

If you want to collect email addresses from your customers with out having them to create a profile I recommend turning on the Email Collection setting within Square Point of Sale. To get to this setting you will open the app> tap the three bars in the top left corner> select settings>Email Collection. 

This will add a screen after checkout inviting customers to sign up for your mailing list. It will only appear if a customer has not signed up for an email receipt. 

Please let me know if you need help with either of these settings! 😀

Message 20 of 46

"It will only appear if a customer has not signed up for an email receipt."

How stupid is that?

I have turned on Email Collection. It works if they don't want a receipt, the page pops up that says, "Let's stay in touch" and they can enter their email. It works if they want a text receipt, same thing. But if they take the time to enter their email for a reciept there is not an option for them to add themselves to our mailing list.  Why can't you just add the same thing were the next page comes up that says 'allow' or 'don't allow' to saving that same email to the mailing list. This doesn't seem that difficult and it's extrememly inconvenient particularly since the vast majority of my customers like thier receipts emailed. Yes i can "add customer" but that asks for all sorts of info and that scares a lot of people off. They don't want to give me all their info, they just want to be on the mailing list. This should be a no brainer.

Message 21 of 46