x

Has anyone had trouble keeping the Square Chip Card Reader charged?

Today I tried using my square chip reader at an event.  It was fully charged when I left the house this morning.  About 2 hours into the event, I was able to use the reader to charge a chip card successfully.  About another hour later, the reader was dead.  It wouldn't scan or use a chip card.  I plugged it into a computer that someone nearby had fortunately.  The battery was dead.  Shouldn't the battery life be longer than a few hours?

Message 1 of 26
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Sorry to hear about battery troubles with your Chip Readers! We have a couple tips that help with battery life, which I'll provide below, but if the issues persist definitely feel free to contact our support team, in case we need to get you replacements. 

- Remove the reader from your mobile device when you're not accepting payments. Even if the reader is used to accept only a few transactions during the day, the battery will drain if it's plugged into a mobile device.

- Charge your reader every day, like you would your mobile device. For faster charging, connect the USB charging cable to a grounded outlet or power source.

- Keep in mind that the reader will not charge when plugged into your device's audio jack, even if your device is charging and connected to a power source. The reader will only charge if it's been removed from your device's audio jack and connected to the provided USB cable.

View Best Answer >

Message 4 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

I am having the same problem. Just emailed customer service. I think they should replace them, there seems to be a flaw. I'm doing at art show this weekend and several other artists expressing the same. 

Message 2 of 26

I have plug-in chip card reader.  After around 4 months past the delivery, i could not charge a card.  The green, an hour earlier indicated that it was fully charged.  It has flawed battery that doesn't llast even 6 months.  The customer service said it is past the warrenty period and they would not eeplace it.  Just another cheap non-working Chinese product.  Square had better servuce & product before being bought by the competition.

Saam Aryan

[redacted]

Message 3 of 26
Square

Best Answer

Sorry to hear about battery troubles with your Chip Readers! We have a couple tips that help with battery life, which I'll provide below, but if the issues persist definitely feel free to contact our support team, in case we need to get you replacements. 

- Remove the reader from your mobile device when you're not accepting payments. Even if the reader is used to accept only a few transactions during the day, the battery will drain if it's plugged into a mobile device.

- Charge your reader every day, like you would your mobile device. For faster charging, connect the USB charging cable to a grounded outlet or power source.

- Keep in mind that the reader will not charge when plugged into your device's audio jack, even if your device is charging and connected to a power source. The reader will only charge if it's been removed from your device's audio jack and connected to the provided USB cable.

Message 4 of 26

I am having the same trouble I usually keep my reader not plugged in but it seems to drain very quickly.  I fully charged it froma grounded source. I may have used it once unplugged it put it inn the box.  I tried to use it today which was a few days later and it does not work so I assume it is dead again.  Is there a problem with it it seem like it should last a day at least.  My appoitments are usually a few hours inbetween or maybe one a day with a charge.  I only plug it in when I know a client is paying.  Any other suggestions?

Message 5 of 26
Square

@JGP - Sorry to hear! It should definitely be lasting longer! Have you already tried deleting and reinstalling the Square Register app? It is possible that there is an update available for your reader, but for some reason the app isn't able to send it over.

Can you also confirm what the firmware version of your reader is? You can find these details under Settings > Hardware > Card Readers, tap the Contactless and Chip Card Reader, and then it should be listed. Thanks! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 6 of 26

firmware is 201030

Message 7 of 26

also version 4.44 updated 6/29/16

Message 8 of 26
Square

@JGP - Thanks! I think we've found the culprit. The newest version of software for the reader is 201042. This means you're missing an update (or two)! Can you please delete and reinstall the app? Also, let's reset the reader to factory settings by firmly pressing and holding the reader’s button for a full 20 seconds

Once you sign back into the app and re-pair the reader, it should automatically start updating.

Sean
he/him/his
Message 9 of 26

There is no button on the reader . it is a chip and mag reader

Message 10 of 26
Square

@JGP - Awe! So sorry for the confusion. 

You can skip the resetting part, let's just removed the app and redownload it. The newest version of firmware for this reader is 3072. 👍

IMG_0924.PNG

Sean
he/him/his
Message 11 of 26

I did that but the screen now reads 201030 This is on my ipad and I also tried on my iphone same

Message 12 of 26
Square

@JGP - Probably a little tough to troubleshoot anymore from online. Would you mind giving us a call? A supporter should be able to take it from here, and help you process a warranty exchange, if need be. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 13 of 26

I tried calling a few times and asked for a call back but the call came and hung up.  I have already requested a warranty exchange.  Thank you forall your help

Message 14 of 26
Square

@JGP - Sounds weird! Glad to hear you were able to process an exchange. Hopefully that's the issue here! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 15 of 26

Tried that the four green lights come on for a second and then go out.

Message 16 of 26

My chip reader dies after every time I use it, I dont keep it on my phone, it usually stays charging but after one transaction it doesn't work again.

Message 17 of 26
Admin

Hey @jparreira, sorry to hear it — that should definitly not be happening.🤔

If you've tried Spenser & Sean's suggestions on the first page and you're still having trouble, please let our Support Team know. They'll take a closer look and advise on next steps.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 18 of 26

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: My new chip reader doesn't keep a charge

charge overnight. Next morning I disconnected the charger and a couple hours of no use later it was dead

Message 19 of 26
Admin

Welcome to the Seller Community @dacatto, I'm sorry to hear your reader doesn't seem to be keeping its charge. These troubleshooting steps should help, and I also recommend reviewing battery life tips shared by Spenser

If the reader still doesn't hold a charge you can get a new reader under warranty.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 20 of 26

I am having the same issue and I think it destroyed my phone because all of a sudden my phone died and it still is happening on the new phone so I am afraid to use it.

I got a new one sent and it doesn't hold a charge either.  I am contacting support but I think they have a huge problem if it is hurting phones.

Message 21 of 26