x

Didn't "load" gift card at time of transaction

I rang out a transaction for 2 gift cards today, and while the amount was correct, I never "loaded" the two gift cards.

I did note the two card numbers, but they are not currently associated with the transaction.
How can I fix that?

Thank you,

Bill

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

There is a "Gift cards" button in your register that you have to use that will bring up the page to load the card and ask you to swipe it.  Here are the steps to loading a gift card.  https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5432-use-your-square-gift-cards

If you have the full card numbers you could run a cash transaction to fill the cards.  you can manually enter the card numbers on the custom gift card screen.  to make your register balance you could then discount the transaction 100% so that the cards load with the correct value but you don't get any extra income from the second sale.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Super Seller

Best Answer

There is a "Gift cards" button in your register that you have to use that will bring up the page to load the card and ask you to swipe it.  Here are the steps to loading a gift card.  https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5432-use-your-square-gift-cards

If you have the full card numbers you could run a cash transaction to fill the cards.  you can manually enter the card numbers on the custom gift card screen.  to make your register balance you could then discount the transaction 100% so that the cards load with the correct value but you don't get any extra income from the second sale.

Message 2 of 6
Square

@wmchellis - Welcome to the Seller Community! If the reply from @VanKalkerFarms answered, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer?" That will help other sellers find this thread more easily if they have the same question. If not, just post a reply, and then we'll go from there. 🙂 Also, welcome to the Seller Community! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 3 of 6

I have a gift card I am trying to load, following all of the proper steps, but it tells me "can't load" and give me an error 400. Help! 

Message 4 of 6
Square Community Moderator

@malbake That sounds a bit strange. Was this still happening?

If you're using the Square Gift Cards and you're following the proper loading steps but still aren't able to issue a gift card, you might need to contact our Support Team so they can walk through it with you. 

Message 5 of 6

VanKalkerFarms,

That is smart.

I got it now.

I did "goof" the first time through and put the whole amount on the first card.

After refunding that, and trying it again, I got a "declined" warning, saying I had reached the daily limit on that card.

It's worth noting I had to manually clear the balance on the gift card as processing a refund will NOT clear a balance on a gift card.

I will try this transaction after midnite, and if that doesn't work, again tomorrow. 

I processed the second card, associated it with the client, and that is fine.

Thank you so much for this.

-Bill

Message 6 of 6