x

Customer Directory

Why are mystery customer names showing up in my directory?

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

Customers show up when you swipe their card.  I use this as a starting point to obtain customer information.

Message 2 of 14

The names don't usually match any customers. Customers are put in square before any transaction is done so payment is already matched to the customer. They are ghost names coming from somewhere.

Message 3 of 14

hmm that's a little strange.   Are they actual names or do they say unknown? 

Message 4 of 14

One more thing.   Have you looked at your transactions under sales?  Are there any transactions that you don't recognize? 

Message 5 of 14

I thought I had answered this but can't find it. The "names" are showing up like Martha B or Sam H.  No odd transactions noted.

Message 6 of 14

@CindyB I have the same thing in my customer list.  What I have noticed is that for credit cards that are not associated with a previous transaction associated with a customer in your customer list, Square grabs the first name and last initial and starts a customer contact.  If you merge that customer with an existing customer or if you don't have that customer in your list you can keep them, then the credit card/customer is connected and then these new customers that are showing up are then associated with that "New or Merged" customer.

Hope that helps

Message 7 of 14

So how do we get their full name in the system? Not just last initial.

Message 8 of 14
Alumni

Hey @silla - In order to retain a customer's full information, you would need to create a profile for them within your Customer Directory.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 9 of 14

@silla @puka We have customers provide data on our sign up slips for our reward program. It keeps them busy while we make small talk / process their transaction. We then connect their sale to their profile and then make updates to their account plus add them to groups (i.e. interested in dog walking) for targeting appropriate email campaigns.
Message 10 of 14

@puka I have a customer directory question. Is there a way to pull a report to show how many visits a customer made in a single month with sales totals? 

For example, I'm currently able to export data only on the average spend and total spend. I'd love to be able to customize to send thank you specials to customers who spent XYZ in December. At this time, you have to do this one by one which is unrealistic since we have a directory over 1,000. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 12.01.07 PM.png

Message 11 of 14
Alumni

Hey again! There are filters related to what you're looking for within your Square Dashboard. I tested it and was able to filter customers that visited within the last month, how many times they visited within that time, and their total spend. You're able to narrow it down by minimum amount of visits, but I wasn't able to find a way to set a minimum amount spent. Here's a screenshot of the filters I selected:

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 12 of 14

@puka i'm not able to recreate the filter you made. would love more information on how you created this report with the following criteria. 

Screen Shot 2018-01-14 at 4.53.34 PM.png

Message 13 of 14

Hello @barkpark_chi! Every time I read your name I want to type out ball park. 😃 🎾  🐶

To find the filters that @puka is using you need to click on the plus symbol on the right side of your screen! Check out the image below. 

Message 14 of 14