x

USB Connectivity issues

I am having issues with printer USB connectivity. iPad recognizes square stand and the square stand also charged the iPad. But the USB hub will no longer charge chip reader nor will the printer's green light turn on. I also just updated my iPad to iOS 9.3.1
Message 1 of 37
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

@ryan1 Thanks for the feedback and I'm sorry to hear you're going through so much trouble! One of the reasons we don't replace the cords alone is because often times the cord trouble is caused by a larger problem with the Square Stand itself. 

Troubleshooting resolves the most common issues (Square Stand USB Attachment Issues) however if these tips don't help, we recommend replacing the entire unit with a Square Stand Warranty Claim rather than purchasing a single USB Hub. When you place a warranty claim, we'll send you out a brand new replacement Square Stand with new USB Hubs. 

If you prefer to only replace the USB Hub, you can purchase a replacement from our online shop: Square Stand Accessories Kit

View Best Answer >

Message 10 of 37
36 REPLIES 36

I just purchased a Square Stand yesterday and am new to this, but am having a similar issue. My Stand (for ipad Air) will charge my ipad and the ipad recognizes the stand, but the Register app won't recognize that the stand is connected and it won't read cards. Trying to decide whether to return it immediately. Is it defective or am I doing something wrong?

Message 2 of 37
Alumni

[UPDATE]

Turns out there may be a larger issue here. We've been hearing similar things from other sellers. 

Our team is digging into the issue now. I'll post updates on this thread as we have them.

--

Let's go through some troubleshooting steps. if none of these work, then you'll need to submit a warranty claim (https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5148)

@AG, often there are a few simple fixes to make sure the accessories hub performs as intended:

- First, make sure the Stand is plugged firmly into the accessories hub and the hub is plugged into a power adaptor (which should be plugged into a three-pronged outlet)

- Then make sure your printer is on our list of supported hardware (unsupported devices often aren't recognized by the Square app)

- Check the USB connections of your hardware (unplug the devices and plug them back in)

Those are the first steps, but this article has the complete list, including a video that walks you through ensuring your receipt printer and Stand are properly connected: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5112-square-stand-troubleshooting

For issues with the contactless and chip card reader—does the reader work with your phone but not just with your Stand?—check out this article: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5673-square-contactless-and-chip-card-reader-troubleshooting

@epictattoo, you may need to force quit the Square app and then re-open it. Or uninstall the app from your iPad and then reinstall it. That can often reset the connection so Register is recognized. This article has more troubleshooting steps that should cover most issues: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5112-square-stand-troubleshooting

Hope these tips help!

Message 3 of 37

Has this issue been resolved? I am still having issues with my app registering the stand which was working fine before but suddenly one day it stopped responding. It charges the iPad Air 2 and the iPad registers the stand in the (About) section but the actual square register does not connect with it. I ordered a replacement stand because I am losing business with this inconvenience.

please help.

Message 4 of 37
Alumni

Yes, this issue is still outstanding, @AG and @Lafuentecafe. This is an issue with iOS and we're working with Apple to solve it. Thanks for checking in.

The issue is fixed with iOS 9.3.2 (which is in public beta, though we don't know when it will be widely released). You can either wait until 9.3.2 is widely available or install the public beta from http://beta.apple.com

Message 5 of 37
Beta Member

George,

I have this update and my stand never connects everything on the first try. Well 1/5 maybe. You always to leave the register app and go back it for it to recognize everything. A bit of a hassle. I have done all the checks and are waiting for a solution.

Thanks,

Mike

Message 6 of 37

@migaspar Check out these troubleshooting steps here

Let us know if this helps!

Message 7 of 37

We had similar issue.  I'm not sure if the Square hub provides power to attached USB devices or just networking. I updated iPad software and Square app.  I did cold boot for iPad and Square dock / stand hub.  Square CS told me hub provided power to stand but not other devices.  Contact reader battery was dead, so I connected to Apple power head and direct to elect outlet. Once charged, connected to app via Bluetooth which worked then disconnected next day.  Today I'm plugging charged chip reader in dock back to hub via USB.  For now ok, but will check on battery later.  

Message 8 of 37

The problem is the 3port usb hub. On one stand I onlyy have 1 of the 3 ports that works at all. On another stand I have to disconnect and then reconnect the usb's to the printer and scanner. Square wont just send you a new cable, you have to file a warrenty claim and wait 5 to 7 business days to get a new stand. This is extremely poor customer service as I have 2 locations that have non functioning equipment. For the love,  just send me replacement chords so I can have my business up and running. This service issue has me reconsidering square as my point of sale. 

Message 9 of 37

Best Answer

@ryan1 Thanks for the feedback and I'm sorry to hear you're going through so much trouble! One of the reasons we don't replace the cords alone is because often times the cord trouble is caused by a larger problem with the Square Stand itself. 

Troubleshooting resolves the most common issues (Square Stand USB Attachment Issues) however if these tips don't help, we recommend replacing the entire unit with a Square Stand Warranty Claim rather than purchasing a single USB Hub. When you place a warranty claim, we'll send you out a brand new replacement Square Stand with new USB Hubs. 

If you prefer to only replace the USB Hub, you can purchase a replacement from our online shop: Square Stand Accessories Kit

Message 10 of 37

We are out of warranty. Everything (Stand, STAR usb printer, contactless reader) were working fine on Saturday. Today, the printer lights blink alternatively, and neither the printer nor the reader are recognized. The stand is recognized.

I have unplugged everything from USB and power and pluged it back in. i tried using different plugs on the stand USB adapter. I have also rebooted our iPad and restarted the square app. BTW, the small reader (for use with phones) works fine. But no luck with the printer or contactless reader.

Now what? This is very frustrating and makes doing business much more difficult.

thanks.

[Personal information redacted] 

SCRAP (san francisco) 

Message 11 of 37

Hello @SCRAP

I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier, but I can still help! For starters I recommend deleting and reinstalling the Point of Sale app; as long as you have not taken any payments in offline mode. This should clear any cached data.  

We have a great Support Center article titled Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader Troubleshooting. The steps in this article will help you get your reader up and running. 

As far as the printer goes I haven't heard of the printer's lights blinking alternatively. I would expect Star Micronics to have some troubleshooting steps to alleviate this. Try reaching out to their Support Team

If you're still having trouble please let me know! I will keep an eye out for your reply. 

Message 12 of 37

I'm having the same issue. I just bought my Square stand setup a month ago. The second time I used it, the USB hub didn't work. I own a food truck and we had to go back to pen and paper.

I was so frustrated. I called Square customer service and not even more frustrated. I was told they couldn't send a replacement USB block overnight. Completely unacceptable.

Last I left off, they were going to try to send me a replacement overnight, but there is no guarantee. Meanwhile, we have a big event coming up this weekend and I don't know if we'll have a POS system. It sucks.

Message 13 of 37
Admin

@wolfskis I'm very sorry to hear about all the trouble this caused, especially in the run up to your event this weekend. If you contacted our CS team they should have helped you with a warranty claim so we can take investigate what happened with the hub.

In the meantime, you could consider using your iPad with a reader to take payments. You could use the Square magstripe reader, or the Contactless and Chip card reader which can be connected over Bluetooth with your iPad. I know it's not ideal as you won't be able to connect other hardware, but I hope it helps tide you over. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 14 of 37

We appreciate the response, but unfortunately it doesn’t really help. 

I talked to CS twice and the last person I spoke to was going to “do everything she could” to get the replacement usb hub expedited so I’d have it this week. 

I just got the tracking info and it won’t be here until next Tuesday. 

If we take the iPad out of the stand to use the reader, it will get destroyed in our food truck. 

I can try to connect the chip card reader via Bluetooth, but we still won’t be able to use our kitchen printer as it’s USB. 

Guess it will be back to pen and paper again. 

Square either needs to start offering overnight shipping or needs to sell the accessory kits in stores, Amazon, etc. 

Im at the point where I’d buy one out of pocket just because we need it so badly for tomorrow. 

So frustrated. 

Message 15 of 37
Admin

@wolfskis I'm sorry again, I agree expedited shipping would be a great help, hopefully we can offer that soon.

Was the accessories hub damaged or did you go through the Stand troubleshooting steps when you called in? If your iPad is new or you recently updated to iOS 12.1 please take a look at the post that we shared this week that has additional troubleshooting steps for connection issues

As for keeping the iPad raised from your counter could you borrow or buy something like the Hecker @Rest Universal Stand ($30)? 

I'm really sorry again for this experience.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 16 of 37

Me too with no support on weekends. I’m a bar!

Message 17 of 37

I’ve had this problem over and over for five weeks. It’s a nightmare and apparently no support on the weekends! It’s a joke!

Message 18 of 37

Help....... Hub seems to have failed, Square register no longer is recognizing my printer, cash dra

Message 19 of 37

[Disregard]

Message 20 of 37

I am glad to see I am not the only one having an issue. I have to keep unplugging my devices and re plugging them in for my system to accept it. Other wise drawere will not open, scanner will not read, and printer will not print. This happened one other time when an update happened and it wwas resolved. So hopefully it is fixed soon because this i a business drag.

Message 21 of 37