x
Beta Member

Where did the "Edit" button go?

Is anyone else missing the "edit" button from the home screen on app?  It was there 10 minutes ago..  ???

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 80
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Is anyone else missing the edit button from the home screen on app?

Update: In the latest update of Square Register, we introduced the "Quick Create Items for Sale" feature to address everyones feedback. This feature will allow you to create an item "on the fly," and then it will automatically be added to your sale. This not only saves you a step, it gives back the functionality everyone in this thread enjoyed. This feature has been rolled out to every seller. 

Thanks for everyones' feedback and patience as we worked through this together. 😀

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback.

The Items applet was a feature that was released recently for iPads, as you all have noticed. As a bit of background, this feature debuted on Square Register for Android devices more than a year ago. This latest update for the iPad version of Square Register brought our software into line with one another. Our Product Team did consider how this could cause a little bit of confusion, so we included a post-update pop-up for sellers.  From the sounds of it, it seems like the biggest issue is the lack of ability to search by SKU inside the Item's applet. This has been a popular feature request for quite some time now, and even brought to our attention in another community thread. It sounds like a workaround was to add the item to a current sale, and then to edit it. I didn't even think of this work around when I responded in the other thread! I can definitely see how this has created extra work for many of you, and I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.  

We have been in touch with our Product team about this change, and they agreed that this is feedback that they definitely want to address. In regards to the ability to search for items using the barcode scanner, they've increased the priority of this bug to get this addressed ASAP. As far as adding the ability to create items from a current sale, we'll continue to discuss a path forward that addresses your concerns for ease of editing. I'll be sure to update this thread if I hear anything more . 

79 REPLIES 79

I just came onto this forum to check and see about this very same thing. It looks like they've removed the Edit button in order to add the Items category. I really, really do not like this change.

Before, I could select "Edit" and scan the barcode of something to easily edit or add it into the system. Two steps. Now, I have to select the menu button, "Items," "Create item," and then scan the barcode before I can enter the item. That's four steps now, for each item. If the item doesn't have a barcode, then I have to look it up each time, which adds another step. -And from the "Items" screen, I can't check to see if an item is already input by scanning its barcode. I have to constantly go back and forth between the register and the Items screen to find out the prices of items as I stock and enter them. Considering this is our new stock day, this is incredibly frustrating. It's taking me twice as long to enter things.

Please bring back the Edit button!

Message 2 of 80

I also came here to see if anyone else was having issues with the edit button disappearing. This is the most absurd function to remove. I have to edit items in my store quite frequently and selecting edit then scanning an item was a really quick and easy way to do that. Now I'm forced to search for the item and can't even scan it now to edit the item? I can't believe it. 

Do any Square reps monitor these forums for feedback? Or is there a dedicated feedback client?

Message 3 of 80
Square

Update: In the latest update of Square Register, we introduced the "Quick Create Items for Sale" feature to address everyones feedback. This feature will allow you to create an item "on the fly," and then it will automatically be added to your sale. This not only saves you a step, it gives back the functionality everyone in this thread enjoyed. This feature has been rolled out to every seller. 

Thanks for everyones' feedback and patience as we worked through this together. 😀

Thanks so much for sharing your feedback.

The Items applet was a feature that was released recently for iPads, as you all have noticed. As a bit of background, this feature debuted on Square Register for Android devices more than a year ago. This latest update for the iPad version of Square Register brought our software into line with one another. Our Product Team did consider how this could cause a little bit of confusion, so we included a post-update pop-up for sellers.  From the sounds of it, it seems like the biggest issue is the lack of ability to search by SKU inside the Item's applet. This has been a popular feature request for quite some time now, and even brought to our attention in another community thread. It sounds like a workaround was to add the item to a current sale, and then to edit it. I didn't even think of this work around when I responded in the other thread! I can definitely see how this has created extra work for many of you, and I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.  

We have been in touch with our Product team about this change, and they agreed that this is feedback that they definitely want to address. In regards to the ability to search for items using the barcode scanner, they've increased the priority of this bug to get this addressed ASAP. As far as adding the ability to create items from a current sale, we'll continue to discuss a path forward that addresses your concerns for ease of editing. I'll be sure to update this thread if I hear anything more . 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 80

I also came on this forum because I was looking for someone to call about the loss of edit button.  I thought maybe I just don't understand this update.  Square couldn't have taken away an action that took just the press of the edit button, to edit items and replace it with a mult-step time consuming process.  We edit our Menu every Tuesday.  Before we just had to go into food-->edit-->click on the item title, change name and price and the process was over.  Now I have to go to another menu item, erase old item,make a new item, choose a category, and correct tax, and what used to take less than 10 minutes is now 20-30 minutes.  I'm still looking for someone to call in case there is a shortcut I'm missing.  I love the update with splitting tickets.  That made us very happy.

Message 5 of 80

Just got off phone with customer support and fixed the menu.  The gentleman on the other line was upbeat, knowledgable, and helpful.  I must have been his millionth caller on this topic, and he was still pleasant and talked me through the change.  I still like the old way better, but I'm glad I called to learn this new process.

Message 6 of 80

This is Square's "best" answer? So basically you took something that was working on the iPad and made your product less user friendly so that all of your formats are the same instead of working with Android to bring them up to speed? Now that is innovation! Can't wait to see what you will down grade next!

Message 7 of 80

@BKT what do you mean they helped you fix the menu?

I'm still upset about the removal of the edit button! It's made the running of my retail store less convenient now. 

Message 8 of 80

It seems as if I am not the only person having truble the system is bad you should redo the entire thing I spend more time on line trying to get this work than I do anything else  and it's a loss cause how can square advertise its great site when their not being honest with the public we are better off to build a web page and pay for that and use the card readers the banks have its less head ach

Message 9 of 80

This "tutorial" is unacceptable! First, it does not inform the user that a change has occurred and does not give clear directions on how to navigate the new system. Second, why not send out a notification in advance, so we are not having to navigate this change with customers infront of use? Very poor planning and problem solving on Square's part!

Message 10 of 80

I spent 25 minutes with a support rep to barely knew of the change. And to top it off it sounded like it was just too too bad and the team that created the change was unavailable. I wanted on the phone for 20 minutes to speak to someone and I'm glad I was persistent because he was apparently (he said texting!) people inside the company and found that if you go in Register back to the main menu and find Items (All Items), here is most of the previous functionality: Create Item as well as the ability to change a existing item in the system. Unfortunately you can not search here by the BarCode# or us your BarCode Scanner to pull up an item, that would be a nice fix. 

Message 11 of 80

Here is the fix, or a work around: I spent 25 minutes with a support rep to barely knew of the change. And to top it off it sounded like it was just too too bad and the team that created the change was unavailable. I wanted on the phone for 20 minutes to speak to someone and I'm glad I was persistent because he was apparently (he said texting!) people inside the company and found that if you go in Register back to the main menu and find Items (All Items), here is most of the previous functionality: Create Item as well as the ability to change a existing item in the system. Unfortunately you can not search here by the BarCode# or us your BarCode Scanner to pull up an item, that would be a nice fix. 

Message 12 of 80

The whole thing is wrong and causes way to much truble you want us to pay you but we can't get things to work out online 

Message 13 of 80
Super Seller

Square Register app is free...

Just sayin'

Message 14 of 80

App is free... No matter. Been using it for a year or more. Won't upgrade the app until i can be assured I will have the Edit button back and do not have to go through the website to do the editing. Square has been great, and i have recommended it often, until that button dissappeared. Now I have little use for the company. Waiting......................... Looking elsewhere.......

Message 15 of 80
Square

@CatsMeow - Appreciate the feedback. This is definitely something we're working on. As a friendly reminder, we haven't removed the ability to create items in-app. You just have to navigate to the Items applet in the Settings. It's the new home for all things items. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 16 of 80
Super Seller

You can edit your items too. It's just a little different.

Message 17 of 80
Super Seller

I still have it and my app is up to date. ver 4.48.1 (4481001).

but my items menu item was there but is not anymore.  so maybe that's why I still have the edit button.

In the beta Square Register app I am running the edit button is gone and I have the items menu item.  ver 4.49 (4490004)

Message 18 of 80

I join the request, now takes me 3 or 4 times more to add or modify items by barcode. Please go back the edit button is very useful also if in a sale I want to edit an item quickly, now with the new change must be re-look from the new articles section.

Message 19 of 80

Moving the "add item" feature to the menu bar and not having it as the + sign in the items list is plain wrong.  Clearly who even did this has not worked in a retail environment such as an antique or vintage store where you need to add individual items for just about each sale.  

Why do you keep changing features that work?  What is the big deal having the + button available where it was at so that one can add an item or category in the items list window?  Having to switch from Register to Items in the menu bar just adds one more step.  

Is that fact completely lost on your developers?????

I myself feel like Vend is probably a better option for my 4 businesses at this point.

Sadly,

Rob

Message 20 of 80
Beta Member

In case someone from Square is monitoring this discussion, I'd like to add that a pop-up window did not appear when I upgraded my app yesterday. Not only does this new workflow add extra steps to put in a new item's barcode, but it also wasn't introduced or explained to users very well.

I defend Square a lot when people try to sell me other POS systems, but this supposed "upgrade" is a definite misfire.

Message 21 of 80