x

How do I delete a location?

How do I delete a location?

How do I delete a location that is inactive?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: How do I delete a location?

I am frustrated with the location option. I am the owner and some how I am listed as the location. Now I cannot see my inventory or update my inventory. I am afraid to deactivate location for myself because I am concerned I may lose everything. All I want to do is see my inventory and update it.

Verified Answer

Re: How do I delete a location?

While we don't currently offer the ability to delete a location completely, you are able to deactivate any of your locations directly from your Square Dashboard. You can also reactivate your location at anytime, so you don't have to worry about accidentally disabling a location. 

I'll be sure to send your feedback about having this functionality over to our Product Liaison Team. 

138 Comments
Square

@ColorTab - It looks like Kelly covered the answer to your question in this thread. Please check it out. 

I did active Location management just to try how API works (it forced me to active it). I really have just one location, so it's uncomfortable to get into location to be able to import, export or just check inventory.

Could I set back my accout to avoid it?

Thank you

Square

@patio5 While we don't have a way to delete locations, its a request we have heard! Thanks for taking the time to post! 

I created an extra location in my account, and I want to get rid of it.  Unfortunately, the website says "Once you've converted to multi-location dashboard, you cannot go back.

Whom do I need to speak to at Square to have them go in and wipe out the location I no longer need or want.  It has had zero transactions, no bank account was ever set up for it, and it is now renamed to 'DeleteMe'.

Can someone please forward my message to someone at Square who can take care of this for me since there's no way to delete a location from the dashboard?

Square

Hi @FutureMon — It looks like another seller had the same question, and received an answer. Check out the reply from Kelly and let us know if that helps!

Ugh! I did a test to see how the employee features worked and now I have a 2nd location that can't be deleted as well! Hate having to select the correct one all over the place! PLEASE make the ability to delete an employee/location available!!!

Admin

Hi @Pcrew, thank you for taking the time to share and sorry for the frustration this is causing. Our Product Liaison team is still tracking this. We don't have a specific timeline, but we'll update this thread as soon as any updates are available.

It would be great to delete the test employee I made as well. I get that you may need to reactivate one, but sometimes we may need to completely delete one.

Does Square acknowledge the importance of their customer's concerns with the inability to "Delete a Location"? We know how we prioritize work in our business, and we concluded that it takes many voices to raise the priority of a matter. We feel this should be a high priority.

We understand that a “Delete” must recursively delete record associations in other tables, and that there are triggers and procedures involved that complicate the reverse action. But, that is why attention to details matter. We see that many others have same concern, and yet we do not know if this will be addressed or when.

To provide the delete capability to the dashboard must be a huge effort, but there is a simple solution that can be done now to address these concerns. Please, for the sake of others, put a very clear warning on the Locations screen that the "Create Location" action cannot be undone, and that subsequently it may affect prices services that charged per month, per location.

Also, please explain on that screen what "deactivation" does, and does not do. It must be clear that deactivation does not affect prices (if it does not), or visibility, or relationships. 

We would like to know if Square is going to address this (meaning when) or not in order to know what our next steps will be concerning the structure of our business and how we should relate data. I sent an email already. I explained the reason it matters to us. I am really sorry to feel I have to care about this, and be negative in any way. I appreciate many things about Square and the services it provides businesses. I have a lot of respect for Square. That is why I see that a proper warning, and proper labels would satisfy my concerns as far as other customers are concerned. 

Square

@Drew_AcneLab - Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts! While I don't have an update on this feature request, I'm happy to forward your feedback along. As for your question about being charged for services, a deactivated location wouldn't occur any sort of charge. For more details on this topic, I'd suggest check out this thread