x

I want to be able to place a note in itemized receipts when a purchase is made.

I want to be able to tell buyers what their next step should be after they pay for an item and receive their receipt.  In other words have a specific note for each item.  Also, is there away to have file attachments sent in the emailed receipt?  

Thanks,

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Square

Hey @DebbieHyman! Thanks for posting your question, I'm happy to follow up.

So let's start with the bad news, we don't currently have a way to trigger specific notes when particular items are selected. We also don't offer the ability to add on attachments to our receipts. These features sound like they could be real time savers for you. I'm happy to pass along your suggestions. 👍🏻

As for what you can do, if you add your customers to your directory (as explained here), you'd be able to send them follow up messages afterward. The directory allows you to store your email addresses and track what purchases they made. 

While I definitely understand this is more work for you, it may just do the trick! Feel free to post any follow up questions. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 10

Hi @Sean 

In my vitamin business, I have used "item description" (in the item itself on dashboard) to put specific directions for certain items, such as "Keep refrigerated," "Final sale/Not returnable," or "Do not chew."

Currently, these product descriptions only appear in the emailed receipt, where they used to also appear on the printed receipt. 

How do we get these to appear on the printed receipt again!? This would be so helpful. We could point it out to the customer, highlight it, circle it in red pen, etc. 

"Modifiers" have been the only way I have found to make sure these items do indeed print, HOWEVER... if you're invoicing a client, modifiers are NOT supported by invoices. 

What can be done to remedy this?

(putting the note in manually each and every time these items are rung up is not effective)

Message 3 of 10
Square

@Stellar732 - Thanks for the detailed follow up here. I do know that we recently made some changes to printed receipts (within the last few months). I am going to dig a little deeper, and then follow up with you shortly! Thanks for you patience! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 10
Square

@Stellar732 - Thanks for your patience while I looked into this a bit more.

After pouring over our resources and double checking with some teammates, It doesn't look like there are any settings that we can update on your account to return this functionality. 😕 

The intention behind this change was to reduce the size of printed receipts, which was a big request from from our sellers. As with any change, there are always unintended consequences, like in your case. I'm really sorry that we weren't more clear about communicating this. 

I will be certain to share your feedback with our product liaison team! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 5 of 10

@Sean While I am not pleased with this answer, I fully understand the desire for shorter receipts, as anyone who shops at Staples or CVS would agree. 

At the very least, is it possible allow invoices to support modifiers?

Thanks for your work. It really does mean a lot. 

Have a great weekend!

🙂 

Message 6 of 10
Square

@Stellar732 - Now that's a feature that's definitely on our radar. 😉  

You have a great weekend too! I look forward to seeing more posts from you in the community! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 7 of 10

Glad I found this post as I was wracking my brain to find out how I can add to my printed receipt for just some of my items that print non-refundable, or final sale. Now I see it is not an option unless I want to manfully type it in for any of my items that require this. Square, not pro-active and you should give this as an option in your POS systems to appended to particular items when setting up a library or have the option for all items. I agree 100%. It is not proactive to have to manually add to the notes field for each sale especially when you are busy. Employees are not going to remember to do that.. Every other merchant receipt has this capability to have this print on a receipts. I know you designed it this way to shorten up receipts, BUT that is not catering to the masses of merchants that NEED this function. If someone doesn't want a long receipt they can turn off the option and not user it.

Message 8 of 10

@Vivid, try a modifier. This will show on the screen on the cashier side, AND the receipt. Unfortunately, modifiers aren't currently supported by an invoice. That's the only issue I've found. If you don't invoice your customers, Modifiers could really work well for you.

Message 9 of 10
Admin

Hi @Vivid, thanks for taking the time to share. I've surfaced your experience with our product liaison team as well. Hopefully @Stellar732's suggestion above works as a solution in the meantime.

Thanks for your patience, and we'll announce any updates as soon as they're available!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 10 of 10