x

Can you manually enter a charge with out a zip code?

I forgot to write  down billing zip code,  and don't have  their phone number.  how can I still  process  the sale?  Thanks

Message 1 of 22
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Without the zip, I don't think it is possible to process it manually.  That is there to help deter fraud.  If you are not processing the sale when the customer is there or when they are on the phone then you need as much information as possible, phone numbers, address, zip code, CVV number.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Super Seller

Best Answer

Without the zip, I don't think it is possible to process it manually.  That is there to help deter fraud.  If you are not processing the sale when the customer is there or when they are on the phone then you need as much information as possible, phone numbers, address, zip code, CVV number.

Message 2 of 22

What if the card was issued in a country with no zip code (eg. Japan)?

Message 3 of 22
Square Community Moderator

@adridon Currently, Square accepts postal codes even if they have letters in them.

If you’re processing an international card that doesn't have a postal code, you can try entering 5 zeros (00000) in the postal code field. 

Message 4 of 22

I need to process manually an American Express card from Tahiti, French Polynesia. is it possible? and what are the fees

Message 5 of 22

This board is useless...no answer were given!!!

Message 6 of 22
Alumni

Hi @Bernardb sorry for the delay! You can process international cards, and if the postal code is not 5 digits, you should be able to do 5 zeroes (00000) instead. Let us know if you have any other questions. 

Message 7 of 22

I agree.  People say things like “I think”, “maybe if you”, “try this “.  If you aren’t successful with doing something yourself, why add your comments.  Why can’t a Square technician respond?  

Message 8 of 22

Hi @Bernardb

So long as the card has the American Express logo, you should be able to process that card with no trouble. 

You'll need to enter the card number, expiration date, and CVV.

When adding the ZIP or postal code, you can toggle between the number keypad and the keyboard on iOS devices by tapping ABC at the lower left of the screen. 

The fee per transaction for manually-entered transactions is 3.5% + 15 cents. The cardholder may be charged for currency conversion by their card issuer since payments must be processed in U.S. dollars.

Message 9 of 22

Or China??  Having problems.

Message 10 of 22

Thank you.  Does the Zip Code need to be all 9 digits, or only the first 5?

Message 11 of 22
Super Seller

Message 12 of 22

It keeps declining even after entering the correct zip code. Is there a way I can disable zip code option entirely as I do travel a lot

Message 13 of 22
Super Seller

It is required to enter a valid zip code from the customers billing address in order for the manual transaction to complete.  If the customer can't provide you with their zip code associated with their card then there are bigger problems.  Square doesn't decide if the charge is valid, the card number and zip are passed to the card issuer for verification and approval.

Message 14 of 22

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: International zip codes

Many have questioned international zipcodes not working. Many surmise that 00000 may work etc.  The solution is simple at least for Canadian addresses.  Enter all the details as per normal, when you get to zipcode simply use the ABC button that will show up on left bottom to alternate between letters and digits.  Done

Message 15 of 22
Admin

Thank you @Rrvnv

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 16 of 22

My costumers are mostly from Brazil where zip codes are 8 digits and frequently starting with the number 0 (zero). My clients continuously have problems with Square not recognizing their zip codes starting with zero. Is there anyway I can solve this issue without bothering my clients?  - Thanks in advance.
Message 17 of 22

Hi @7sh 👋 Thanks for reaching out and joining us here on the Seller Community!

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding using international zip codes for payments. There are some helpful tips here on this thread, try giving a shot to them and see if you can push your payment through!

Keep me updated!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 18 of 22

We have recently bought a very small 9 room motel. We use booking.com, who I cannot get them to require the zip code from the guest who book using them.  We are not in the office all night long and require that guest check-in by 8pm or let us know so we can arrange a late, self check in. Which I would need to run their credit card manually before they arrive to make sure I get paid. We have a 2nd sister motel that we have owned for 8 years which I have always been able to jus put in 00000 for the zip code and it would work. Why is not letting me do this with our newest motel? 

Message 19 of 22

Hey there, @driftinnmotel

Welcome to the Community & congrats on your first post!

The reason the 00000 zip code isn't working would most likely be because of the customer's card. Some debit or credit cards are able to accept that as a zip code, while others need the customer's actual zip code to process the payment. 

Is there a reason you don't wish to enter the zip code for those manual payments? Or are you only give the card number before they check in? 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 20 of 22

Thank you Kassi for replying.  Your answer does make sense. I would put in the zip code if I had it available, but as I said I cant get Booking.com require the guest to give a zip code when booking so I foresee it being a problem for my late check ins. Being a small business, coming off this forsaken covid year I really need to make some! I did get a response for square saying I wasn't listed as lodging, so they changed that maybe (cross my fingers) that will be the trick.

Message 21 of 22