x

How can I accept HSA or FSA cards with Square?

We are a therapuetic program and have many clients who want to use their Health Savings Account (HSA).  However, when we swipe their cards or manually put the numbers in, the cards are declined.  How do we fix this problem?  Do the customers need to contact their HSA?

Thanks so much.

Message 1 of 84
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @sallyjanemixon, great question!

Licensed health care providers can process HSA cards just like any other cards. If you selected the Medical Practitioner, Medical Services, or Dentistry business category when you signed up, you shouldn't have any issue accepting these cards. If you believe your business category needs to be updated, just get in touch with our Support Team. Once they collect some details, they'll be able to adjust your business type

You can check out this article has more info about accepting HSA/FSA cards. 

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 84
83 REPLIES 83

Some of those have to be used as a debit only.
Message 2 of 84
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @sallyjanemixon, great question!

Licensed health care providers can process HSA cards just like any other cards. If you selected the Medical Practitioner, Medical Services, or Dentistry business category when you signed up, you shouldn't have any issue accepting these cards. If you believe your business category needs to be updated, just get in touch with our Support Team. Once they collect some details, they'll be able to adjust your business type

You can check out this article has more info about accepting HSA/FSA cards. 

Message 3 of 84

I'm a healthcare provider in private practice (Occupational Therapist) and set up my Square card awhile ago to accept HSA cards.  I have many clients who pay with their HSA using Square monthly and it's been no problem.  However, I just tried to run the card of a new client and it won't work.  I updated the Square app on my phone recently and am wondering if this somehow could explain the issue?  

Message 4 of 84
Alumni

Hi @sstauffer - Since your question is account specific, you should give our team a call or send them an email. We can help you generally troubleshoot, but we don't have access to account specific information. Sorry about that!

Message 5 of 84

My client wanted to pay with Care Credit but the card was not accepted. Any reason this isn't working?

Message 6 of 84
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @BBPediatrics 👋 Thanks for adding your voice to the Seller Community! This is a great question.

I had to do a little research on what exactly Care Credit is, but from what I can tell. it seems like an HSA or FSA card, no? Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on this one.

Square can accept most FSA and HSA cards, but your account has to be listed under a specific Merchant Category Code to do so. For more info on this, and how to get your MCC code changed, I would take a look at this Best Answer from a similar thread of Sellers asking like questions.

I will go ahead and merge you post with this same thread. I hope this information is helpful! Let me know if you have any questions!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 84

Care credit is a totally different thing and won't work with Square. You need to apply to take care credit through them.

Message 8 of 84

Can you please help me setting up my account to accept HSA and FSA cards. I am a licensed therapist

Message 9 of 84
Admin

Hey @Cricket1226-

Thanks for posting in the Seller Community! 

Take a look at the best answer in this thread. You'll need to call us to ensure you have the right Merchant Category Code to accept HSA/FSA cards. 

Let us know if you have any additional questions! 😊

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 10 of 84

[Personal Information Redacted]

Message 11 of 84

Does square accept Flex or medical account cards issued to its company employees 

Message 12 of 84
Alumni

What's up @RDuarte!

Here's the thread you're looking for. Check out the best answer!

Justin
Message 13 of 84

I'm a licensed clinical professional counselor and I'm having trouble accepting HSA and FSA cards. Does anyone else have any problem with this? If not, how do you do that?

Message 14 of 84

Hi there, @Gr33kgirl 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you! 

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking to accept HSA and FSA payments through their business. Take a look at this Best Answer from George - it will give you a walkthrough on how we can get this accomplished for you. 

Let me know if you have any further questions! Cheers. 

Joe
Message 15 of 84

Joe,

Thank you for the information. I sent an email to customer support and look forward to getting this resolved. Have a most beautiful weekend!

Message 16 of 84

Thanks so much, @Gr33kgirl! You have a great weekend as well! 😎🍻

Joe
Message 17 of 84

I could not bill an HSA card?  I thought I had my square set to medical?

Message 18 of 84

Hi there, @Esteeves82 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! Happy to have you join us.

So sorry to hear about your issues using HSA cards! Your MCC needs to be assigned to a compatible HSA and FSA category in order to be able to process these type of cards.

If you'd like us to double check your MCC listing, you can reach out to our Support Team here.

Joe
Message 19 of 84

I am a licensed acupuncturist, I am also can't acceipt HSA & FSA. I re-modified it according to the above prompt. My business type is medical service, but after more than a week, it is still unacceptable, and I haven't received any reply. I reapplied again today. I hope it can be resolved, or reply me What should I do? Because every day I lose patients because of it.

Message 20 of 84
Alumni

Our Support team would be able to look into this with you, @steven0804!

When you have a moment, please reach out directly by logging into your Square account and heading here.

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

Valentina
Message 21 of 84