x

How do I download the acquired Email Addresses as a CVS File?

I have a email sending company I use for promotions. I collect email address at show on Square, How do I download the email addresses as a CVS file so I can upload them onto the lists the company I use has them for email promotions? Afterall, they are MY collected emails.

Message 1 of 11
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there, and welcome to the Seller Community! 

You can export your customer list from your Square Dashboard:

1. Visit Customers in your online Square Dashboard
  2. Click Import / Export > Export Customers.
  3. Click Download.

A .CSV file will download to your computer, which you can open using Excel or another common spreadsheet software.

You'll be able to view the customers that have been manually assigned to a transaction, have signed up for your mailing list via Email Collection Tools, or who have been manually imported via your dashboard.

Customer names automatically collected from transactions swiped through the newest version of the Square Reader won’t be included in the spreadsheet. This information will only show on the Transactions tab of your Square Dashboard.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Best Answer

Hi there, and welcome to the Seller Community! 

You can export your customer list from your Square Dashboard:

1. Visit Customers in your online Square Dashboard
  2. Click Import / Export > Export Customers.
  3. Click Download.

A .CSV file will download to your computer, which you can open using Excel or another common spreadsheet software.

You'll be able to view the customers that have been manually assigned to a transaction, have signed up for your mailing list via Email Collection Tools, or who have been manually imported via your dashboard.

Customer names automatically collected from transactions swiped through the newest version of the Square Reader won’t be included in the spreadsheet. This information will only show on the Transactions tab of your Square Dashboard.

Message 2 of 11

It doesn't work. It isn't putting all of the email addresses I have collected into the file. Why?

Message 3 of 11

Hello @brandym! If an email address is attached to a customers profile it will be exported into column D on the CSV file. Just to be clear, a customers profile will only have an email address if you added it in the directory.

If a customer enters their email address for a receipt you won't be able to view it. The digital receipt agreement states that we will only use their email address for receipts or marketing materials from businesses they frequent. In your directory they will be under the reachable group. In some cases the profile will show a name but no email address or even an unknown name. 

I hope this clears things up! If you still have questions please feel free to reach out to me. I would be happy to help out. 😀

Message 4 of 11

Chad, I use square for my retail sales and always send my receipt via their email address.  How can I then extract that email to send them a thank you via email?

Message 5 of 11

Hey @laurelgravelyn,

Thanks for writing in with this question!

The emails customers provide for receipts are not available to be exported. You can record customers' details separately by asking them if they would consent to be added as customers when processing their sales - learn how to here

This is so your customers - and you when you make a purchase at a Square Seller! - are only receiving marketing messages they've consented to be recorded. 

Message 6 of 11

Does anyone know how to export customer email addresses from the customer database?

Message 7 of 11
Admin

Hello @PuraBean! Check out EJ's Best Answer here with the steps to download the customer email addresses you've collected

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 8 of 11

I sent an email receipt to a customer after processing their payment, however I did not record their email address except in the area where I sent the receipt.  When I go to my directory, it doesn't show the email.  Is there any way to retrieve that information?

Message 9 of 11
Admin

@Amandaair Hello! This relevant thread addresses the answer to your question. Check it out and let us know if anything else comes to top of mind for you.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 10 of 11

Thanks!

Message 11 of 11