x

How do I accept payment for an invoice using the Square POS app?

Please: how to apply payment to an invoice using the Square POS? We had a customer come in with their invoice and wanted to pay it in-store. How to?

We took care of it by creating a new sale with the items and discounts, just to help the customer and keep the store running smoothly. But when they come in and want to use their credit card, they want to pay it on the spot. AND they want a receipt. There's no option for paying an invoice in-person.

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 150
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: How do I accept payment for an invoice using the Square POS app?

@bfmovingco 

This feature was rolled out to all accounts over the summer and into Retail and Appointments in late September. You should see the option to take a partial payments on an invoice in your Square POS on Android and all devices at this time.

You should be able to follow the steps in this article to take payments in person from your device. Android

To process an in-person card payment for a deposit or partial balance, follow these steps: 

1. Open the Square Point of Sale or Square Invoices app
  2. Select the desired invoice
  3. Tap Add Payment
  4. Enter or Select the payment amount 
  5. Tap Next
  6. Select the appropriate payment method
  7. Continue the check out flow

Note: Currently, tipping is only available as a percentage of the final invoice payment.

Please let me know if you have further questions or are experiencing issues with this. Happy to help.

1 Best Answer
Admin

Best Answer

@bfmovingco 

This feature was rolled out to all accounts over the summer and into Retail and Appointments in late September. You should see the option to take a partial payments on an invoice in your Square POS on Android and all devices at this time.

You should be able to follow the steps in this article to take payments in person from your device. Android

To process an in-person card payment for a deposit or partial balance, follow these steps: 

1. Open the Square Point of Sale or Square Invoices app
  2. Select the desired invoice
  3. Tap Add Payment
  4. Enter or Select the payment amount 
  5. Tap Next
  6. Select the appropriate payment method
  7. Continue the check out flow

Note: Currently, tipping is only available as a percentage of the final invoice payment.

Please let me know if you have further questions or are experiencing issues with this. Happy to help.

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc

View Best Answer >

Message 135 of 150
149 REPLIES 149

Do to the nature of my business, clients do partial payments. How can I take and document partial payments. Thanks Glenda

Message 2 of 150
Admin

@Xiosevents 

We're currently recruiting for Sellers to Beta test in-person partial payments on Invoices. If you are using Android, this Beta will be opening soon. If you're using iOS - you can add your name to this thread, and we'll let you know when we've started recruiting for the beta on iOS.

Check out more here. 

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc
Message 3 of 150

Please add me to the iOS list once that Beta opens up. 

Message 4 of 150
Beta Member

Has this issue been solved? I understand that Square was working on a solution but I had this issue last week where I could not take a swipe payment on an existing Invoice (that had a Deposit made to it) so I had to run a new sale swipe for the balance and that causes my books to reflect what looks like a double payment as I cannot just leave the original invoice "open". Please tell me that Square will solve this simple problem. It has been going on since I started with Square almost 2 years ago. It's a major pain to deal with when the customer is in your face waiting for his invoice to be completed. thanks, Jimmy

Message 5 of 150

We keep also running into this problem with our caterings (deposit of 50% required) but then they want to pay in person, with credit card and expect a receipt. If I ring in to take a credit card payment, I have to cancel the invoice (or modify), otherwise the item sale is recorded twice (not financially but the items statistics - through invoice and through the POS sale and it throws off all our numbers. Its very inconvenient.

Message 6 of 150

we currently use gift card as placeholders for the transaction. Meaning, if we have someone that made a partial deposit on the invoice and then comes in the store to pay the remainder, we ring in a gift card for the amount for the credit card sale. The we apply the gift card balance to the invoice and the customer will receive an email that the invoice was paid in full. That way, products are not recorded as sold twice and it doesn't throw off our sales statistics. It's an inconvenient step in between but works.

Message 7 of 150

Great idea but wouldn't gift cards show up in total sales for the day?

In other words, if customer pays 50 deposit and 150 balance is left. You charge the customer's credit card for 150 then enter gift card as 150 to close the invoice. 

Wouldn't that show up as total sales 300??

Message 8 of 150

Is there any consideration in adding this feature? Due to the clientle that I work with I have to print many of the Square invoices and they pay with either cash, credit, or check. It's always a hassle to record who has paid what, and then go back to my computer and enter this information.

Message 9 of 150
Square

@pavvento We make our product changes off of customer feedback, so the more we hear what sellers are looking for the better! I don't have a timeline on this for you but I will share it with our Product Liaison team to keep track of! 

Message 10 of 150

Yes, our business model also needs to accept partial payments from an invoice and track those transactions in an itemized manner until the balance is paid in full. Would be extremely helpful.  Christina

Message 11 of 150
Admin

@Clane @dreaedwards28 

We're currently recruiting for Sellers to Beta test In-person Partial payments on Invoices. If you are using Android, this Beta will be opening soon. If you're using iOS - you can add your name to this thread, and we'll let you know when we've started recruiting for the beta on iOS.

Check out more on this Beta here!

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc
Message 12 of 150

We would love to see this option added so that our client can make payments and track it on the invoice.

Message 13 of 150

Hey @dreaedwards28! We recently introduced the ability to pay in person! Check out @Sean's answer above! Currently partial payments is still a feature request that we're tracking. 

Message 14 of 150
Beta Member

I would also like to say that I too need the ability to make partial and/or split payments on an invoice! Please please add this.  I LOVE my square!

Message 15 of 150
Admin

@nothingsbetter 

I just wanted to make sure you saw that we're currently recruiting for Sellers to Beta test in-person partial payments on Invoices. If you are using Android, this Beta will be opening soon. Add your name to the thread or join our Android Beta Community so we can get you started.

If you're using iOS - you can add your name to this thread, and we'll let you know when we've started recruiting for the beta on iOS.

Check out more here. 

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc
Message 16 of 150

PLEASE! We desperately need this feature, too! There is no workaround we can do and we're sending invoices to customers that aren't correct, with extra notes, etc. to try to tell them the correct balance because we can't record payments!

Message 17 of 150
Admin

@eriksclothing @Afedd @LuSol_Lighting @Ryan22 @Krhodes @Picasa @Ttart @GoGraphicsArt @Secondhandmade @BlazinDesigns @ArcheryDirector @jetcars @3monkeyspad @Machiventa @jang @NaturalFigoski1 @SmoochyBaby

We're currently recruiting for Sellers to Beta test In-person partial payments on Invoices. If you are using Android, this Beta will be opening soon. Add your name to the thread or join our Android Beta Community so we can get you started.

If you're using iOS - you can add your name to this thread, and we'll let you know when we've started recruiting for the beta on iOS.

Check out more here. 

kellyj
Design Program Manager
Square Inc
Message 18 of 150

I would also find it helpful to be able to process partial payments if you need a certain amount of people in need of the service to add it. 

Thanks!

Message 19 of 150
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this @Afedd

Our Invoice team is working to prioritize this and actively advocating for you all. 

If anything new comes up, we'll post an update 👍🏼

Message 20 of 150

To reinforce this comment we too also have expereince with this problem with receiving partial payment. This also comes up when a customer has store credit and would like to apply it to a new purchase.

Message 21 of 150