x

Do I have to have the stand to use the square reader and its docking station?

I have the square reader. I want to get the docking station for it. Do I have to have the stand to use it or can I just use it with my phone?

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

You can get the dock so that it is plugged in a charging from a wall electrical socket all the time.  but it will not plug into your phone but will connect via Bluetooth.  I find the chip reader holds a charge for a couple days but if it will always be in one spot it is nice to be plugged in all the time.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

Best Answer

You can get the dock so that it is plugged in a charging from a wall electrical socket all the time.  but it will not plug into your phone but will connect via Bluetooth.  I find the chip reader holds a charge for a couple days but if it will always be in one spot it is nice to be plugged in all the time.

Message 2 of 9

Do I have to have it plugged in to use it?

Message 3 of 9
Super Seller Alumni

No, the chip reader itself has a battery built in.  The dock is just to charge it via a micro USB cable.  

Message 4 of 9
Admin

Welcome to the seller community @Addiejeansbouti! 👋🏻 Thanks for helping out, @VanKalkerFarms and @jjgard. 🎯

For more details on getting set up, have a look at this article: Dock for the Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 5 of 9

Do you have to take the reader out of the docking station to turn it on and off from the readers on/off button?

Message 6 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Stooge07! Yes - you will need to remove the reader from the dock to access the power/pairing button.

Let me know if you have any other questions! 

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 9

I use my reader at farmers market and wanted tin use the dock just donors easier for a customer to slide their card in. I don’t have anywhere to plug the dock into. Can I cut the cord off and still use it?

Thanks 

Message 8 of 9
Admin

Hi @cbarron- The dock has to be plugged in if you want to use it. It can't be made cordless.

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 9 of 9