x
Admin

Instant Transfer: Which Cards are Supported?

How do I know if my debit card will be supported for Instant Transfer?

Can I use my Prepaid Card?

Is there a list of supported debit cards?

What do I do if my debit card is not supported?

[This post was updated by moderator in 2019 to reflect a name change - deposits are now called transfers.]

Message 1 of 63
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hello everyone!

Instant transfer allows for Square Sellers to have their funds deposited and made available to them immediately.

While we don’t have a list of supported cards to share, instant transfer works with most standard, U.S.-issued Visa or MasterCard debit cards. These debit cards should be issued by a bank or credit union, and linked to a transactional checking account. 

This means that Credit cards, ATM, PayPal, or prepaid bank cards are not supported.

Instant transfer uses a variety of card networks to send funds instantly. So for every debit card, both the card network and bank must be set up to receive funds instantly.

The only way to truly know if your debit card is supported is to attempt to link your card, and card compatibility can change.

We're always working to include more card options; which is to say, even if your card isn't supported now, that may not always be the case! I'll also add that if your card is unsupported and you have more than one debit card, we encourage you to try linking additional cards, as these may be successful.

For more details and information, check out our Support Center article: instant transfer

[This post was updated by moderator in 2019 to reflect a name change - deposits are now called transfers.]

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 63
62 REPLIES 62
Square

Hi @Ambercapellibei. While the community is a great place for getting advice from other sellers and finding the answer for general questions, for account specific ones, we'll want to keep things private. 

Please reach out here so we can follow up with you to sort this out. Thanks a ton! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 22 of 63

I tried linking both my capital one debit card and my capital one 360 card both are debit cards that can receive money and have money withdrawn instantly. I find it very hard to beilive these cards are not linkable. I am very surprised at square for the lack of ease of use/information about which cards are "supported". Do any cards actually work or is this just a buggy feature that no one really gets to use? 

Message 23 of 63

@Qtkoral Sorry to hear it's not working for your debit cards. 

Unfortunately we don't control which cards are supported or not. For every debit card, both the card network and bank must be set up to receive funds instantly.

We can’t confirm if a card is supported until an attempt to link the card has been made through the Square app, which I will agree is not the best experience. 

As of today, we've had a high success rate with the following banks: 

• Bank of America consumer and business cards (updated 2019)
  • Citizens Bank
  • Huntington National
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • PNC Bank
  • Regions
  • SunTrust
  • TD Bank
  • USAA

Hopefully we can get your card supported in the near future. 

Message 24 of 63

Huntington not supported any longer? It is telling me my debit card is no longer supported?

Message 25 of 63

@lluvley1 If you're receiving that messaging, unfortunately that might be the case. 

Try a different card if you have one and see if it works. 

Message 26 of 63

my capital one 360 card was linked, then i got qa new card and now its not. So, how do I get my $? I have 300.00 in there

Message 27 of 63
Admin

Hello @amanda76179, I'm really sorry for the trouble this caused. If you can't link your new debit card for Instant Transfer your funds will be sent to your linked bank account instead according to the next business day transfer schedule. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 28 of 63

Union Bank does not support your instand deposit service, never has.  What banks do support your instant deposit?

Message 29 of 63
Admin

Hey @WorkFlow916, a list of cards that we've had strong link success with is available in these Instant Transfer FAQs. Instant transfer should work with most U.S.-issued Visa or MasterCard debit cards - but not that prepaid cards, ATM cards and credit cards are not supported.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 30 of 63

Hello,

Why doesnt the instantg deposit go to the account already issued on square? 

Is it different?

never had this problem.... but recently saw in my bank account that the money wasnt there...

Message 31 of 63

@hermy18 Hey there! Welcome to the Community and sorry for the late response. 

Without having account specifics, it's hard to determine what exactly it could be that cause this. Did you end up resolving this issue? 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 32 of 63

I just switched my instant transfer linked card from my Citibank to my chase.   I verified it and processed an instant transfer.  The funds are no longer in my square account but they are not in my chase account.  

Message 33 of 63

IT IS RIDICULOUS THAT YOU CANNOT LINK YOUR SQUARE CARD TO CASH APP OR YOUR CASH APP CARD TO SQUARE!

Message 34 of 63
Beta Member

We have been using instant deposit with our 5/3 debit card for more than six months. Today a message indicated the card is not supported - was 5/3 taking off the supported cards list?

Message 35 of 63

That's what I'm guessing. Just happened to me yesterday. 

Message 36 of 63
Square

@Chi @WindyCityParrot - Sorry to hear! It does sound like there may have been a back-end change with your bank causing this feature to no longer be available. 😕  I'll go ahead and reach out to our engineering team to confirm, but if this feature is important to you, you may need to consider linking an alternative debit card and delivering this feedback to your bank.  

Sean
he/him/his
Message 37 of 63

Thanks for your reply. It's where my business account is and that's not an easy task to consider changing, let alone actually doing it. I'll ask them what's going on and see what we can come up with. Thanks again

Message 38 of 63
Square

@Chi @WindyCityParrot - It sounds like there may have been an issue specific to this bank that should be resolved now. Would you mind checking again to see if you can link your debit card?

Sean
he/him/his
Message 39 of 63

Does anyone know if you can use your PayPal Debit MasterCard for the instant deposit card feature? That card is attached to my bank account. I never use my bank debit card and would rather the deposits go into my PayPal account. Thanks for any help. Of course I would wait till the weekend to want to know the answer to this and square only has customer service Monday through Friday..lol.

Message 40 of 63
Alumni

Hey @ChattyCat - thanks for making your first post to the 👥 community. 

I moved your post to this thread where other sellers have asked about what cards are supported for Instant Deposit. 

Currently, only debit cards linked to a transactional checking account issued by a bank or credit union can be used. For more details, be sure to check @EJ_'s post on the first page about supported debit cards

Message 41 of 63

Thanks, Russell..I figured it out! 

Message 42 of 63