x

Swiping

How do I get a swiped card to go through? It doesn't do anything when i swipe.  I want to avoid having to keep manually entering the credit cards 

Message 1 of 12
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Without more specifics here are general troubleshooting steps.  https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5203-square-magstripe-reader-troubleshooting

Make sure it is full "clicked" into the headphone jack, some cases prevent this from happening.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Super Seller

Best Answer

Without more specifics here are general troubleshooting steps.  https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5203-square-magstripe-reader-troubleshooting

Make sure it is full "clicked" into the headphone jack, some cases prevent this from happening.

Message 2 of 12

I am having issues swiping for the last 2 weeks. Was working fine on April 16

Now I have hand enter all

Costs more money in fees 

Message 3 of 12
Square Community Moderator

Hey, @Gallery218- We’re happy to help you. Can we please get more details related to your Square reader. What kind of reader and hardware are you using?

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 4 of 12

Hi Sayra.  Last year everything was fine.  Now, 2022, I must enter every transaction manually.  I have a Moto g stylus 5G

1. New square - 2 actually

2. Credit card that is proven to work.

3.  Uninstalled and reinstalled the app.

Square app reads connected when the square when inserted.

No response of any kind when I swipe.

Any ideas?

Message 5 of 12

Hi @sharpening,

Stepping in for Sayra while she is out. 

Can you confirm what you mean by a new square? You're referring to swipe, is it the magstripe reader? 

Just want to be sure so we can best assist. 

Thank you!

Message 6 of 12

Yes.  Both units I purchased as replacements are magstripe readers.

Message 7 of 12

If you have gone through all troubleshooting ( https://squ.re/3Lg4hKp ).  And having no issues with wifi then please go ahead and contact support. 

You can reach support at 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport .

Thank you!

Message 8 of 12

I have the same phone. Same issue with this phone only. works on my tablet. Customer service couldn't help me.

Message 9 of 12

Hello @CS10

You also have a Moto G stylus 5G? 

Taking a look at our compatibility page, this phone is compatible. We don't really list the stylus version specifically, but we do list the Moto G 5G series. 

Are you also using a Magstripe reader?

Have you tried these troubleshooting steps?

Let me know! Thank you.

Frances
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 10 of 12

I have the same exact problem with the same phone and the mag strip reader. The reader works on my old Galaxy A50, but not my new Moto G Stylus 5G (2022). One workaround may be to use my new phone as a Hotspot through my cell carrier and have my old phone act as a terminal, but what a pain when the new phone is supposed to be Square compatible. I suspect a settings issue in the sound or microphone areas, but ??

Message 11 of 12

Have same phone, can't get it to work with the headphone jack magstripe reader. Found this thread but there's no solution. 

Message 12 of 12