x

Tax created on iPad app not showing on Dashboard

We created a tax on the iPad register app and it is not showing up on the Dashboard nor when I export my item list.  Everything shows and charges correctly on the Register app though.....any ideas?

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
Square Community Moderator

Any tax created within the Register app should appear in your Square Dashboard as well.

Was this not the case? Is there any way you can provide screenshots as an example of what's happening? 

Message 2 of 18

IMG_4765.PNG

IMG_4766.JPG

IMG_4767.JPG

I've added 3 pictures. One is a screenshot of the register app on my cellphone. It shows 3 taxes. One is a picture of the register app on the iPad at the store. It shows 4 taxes. One is a picture of the dashboard on my computer. It shows 3 taxes. 

Message 3 of 18

Thanks for those screenshots. That does look a bit strange as that is not how the tax rate settings should behave. 

Tax rate settings are stored on Square's servers, rather than on each device. If multiple devices are signed into the same Square account, the same tax rate will be applied to each device. If there's a change to the rate on one device, it will be reflected on all others that are signed in.

I've tested this on my end as well just to be sure. When creating a new tax on one device, the newly created tax pulls to both another signed in device as well as the Square Dashboard. 

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the app on all of your devices to make sure the app is up to date. 

Message 4 of 18

I deleted and reinstalled the app on my phone and it still only shows 3 active when our iPad at the store shows 4 active. 

If that is stored on the servers, one would assume the Square dashboard would always be correct, but mine isn't. I can't figure it out and it's really frustrating. 

At the beginning (we've only been opened since Dec1), I created all items and taxes on the dashboard in my internet browser. Since the store has opened, 98% of all activity is via the iPad app. I periodically do stuff on the dashboard from my office. That's how we noticed the difference in taxes. 

We created a food tax and turned off state tax on the store iPad. My husband wasn't paying attention and when adding new items, he wasn't making sure the appropriate of the 4 taxes were assigned.  My plan was to export our item list to make sure items were taxed correctly, but only 3 taxes show up 

Message 5 of 18

I'll escalate this up to our Engineering Team to take a look. Once they get back to me, I'll update with what might be going on. 

Thanks for all of the information! 

Message 6 of 18

Thank you!  

Message 7 of 18

I have an update for you! Our Engineering Team did some testing and at first they appeared to have replicated the issue. 

However, after refreshing a few times on the Square Dashboard, the new tax appeared for them as well. 

There's a delay after you make changes on the iPad. This is because the iPad has to sync the changes to the server. Saving a tax on the iPad queues a background sync, but it can take a little while to finish.

Message 8 of 18

Well, the new tax was added in the middle of December........and it still doesn't show up.  Any other ideas?

Message 9 of 18

Oh. Well in that case, hang tight and I'll do a bit more digging!

Message 10 of 18

I think we've made progress!  I think there is a definite sync issue.  Even some of the newer items we have added are not showing up on the dashboard.  There must be a problem with our iPad syncing with the Square servers.  Any ideas?

Message 11 of 18

Is there a set time that the sync happens, or does it happen automatically around-the-clock?

Message 12 of 18

So a development overnight.....

My husband brings the iPad from the store home each night.  He typically leaves the iPad off overnight and I suggested that he leave it on so he left it on last night and connected to our home wi-fi.  We checked it this morning and there are only 3 taxes on the store iPad......so it deleted the 4th tax 😞  Then we reviewed the items since and all of our newer items were gone too!!!  😮

This morning, my husband had to add the 4th tax again as well as determining which items are our most recent and add them all again. 

I don't know what our problem is, but we definitely need to figure it out 😞

Message 13 of 18

OMG!  The system has basically reverted back to before we added the 4th tax.....so i'm guessing about December 15 or so.  So it deleted the 4th tax we added as well as any new items we have added.  Also, original items that we have had to increase prices on......it's back to the original price instead of the increased price!  We are going to have to go through our entire inventory and check prices as well as add items.  WHAT A HEADACHE!

Message 14 of 18
Square

Oh no, really sorry to hear that, @ElPrimoMex. I'm stepping in for @EJ and have notified our engineering about this. One of us will update again when we know more.

Thanks again for the heads up.

Message 15 of 18
Square

Sorry for the delay, @ElPrimoMex, but I do have an update finally. From our testing we weren't able to reproduce the same issue, so it seems to be specific to your device/app not syncing properly. Our engineering team are still looking at the logs to determine the cause, so that info will be helpful, but unfortunately there isn't a way to recover changes that were made during that time. 

Before making changes going forward, I would suggest deleting and reinstalling the app from the App Store, and also restarting the iPad itself. That should take care of the issue going forward, so test with a few small updates/changes and ensure that's the case. Really sorry for the experience here, and definitely let me know if it continues.

Message 16 of 18

Thanks for the update. 

One more question. Any plan in the near future to accept EBT with your system?  We are currently being reviewed so that we can accept SNAP benefits. So we will need a system that supports EBT soon. 

Message 17 of 18
Square

No plans to share at this time, @ElPrimoMex. We'll certainly announce it here, should that change. 

Message 18 of 18