x

Square Chip Card Reader not charging

Hi, I got my chip card reader yesterday and tried to charge it today, it seems not to be charging it has been plugged in for 6 hours and still has the same 2 lights that blink kind of a yellow glow when you push the little button.  Any suggestions or did I just get a bad one?  I really need it for this coming weekend!  Carolann

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square

@carolann - So sorry to hear about the trouble! Would you mind sharing how you're charing the reader? What happens when you plug the reader into your smart phone or tablet? 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 2 of 8

Please try and follow me, cause I seem to be going round and round here with emails and all the advice I am getting.  I got the new chip square in the mail.  I opened the box and plugged it in.  It does not charge, no green lights just 2 yellow lights when you push the little round button.   I am going to change the cable that (USB) that came with the unit and see if it will charge the battery.  Carolann

Message 3 of 8
Square

@carolann - Sorry I wasn't more clear, and sorry for the runaround!  Specifically, what are you plugging the USB cord into (computer usb port, iPhone charger block, etc,)? Have you tried switching out this part of the equation? I charge mine using my iPhones charging block. 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 4 of 8

I change the USB cord that came with the unit and it is now charging. 

Message 5 of 8
Square

@carolann - So glad to hear! I haven't seen the cord be the culprit yet! We don't currently have a way to ship just the USB cable. Did you just have an extra one laying around? 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 6 of 8

Yep, I am a librarian by trade.  I have all kinds of cords!  It is the same one that came with a externial battery power pack.  Thanks, Carolann

Message 7 of 8
Square

@carolann - Sorry for the trouble, and good luck this weekend with your sales! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 8 of 8