x

Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Is there a way 2 take partial payments 4 an invoice?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Little late with an update here, but wanted to make sure y'all know this is possible with Square Progress Invoices!

You can schedule multiple payments on a Square Invoice by following these steps 

Joe
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Hi there, @LiaJmt - thanks for adding your voice here and checking in on this feature! Good to hear from you. Same to you, @BIONICONE - welcome! 

You may be looking specifically for our newly introduced Deposit Feature for Invoices. This will also allow you to create a single invoice to track multiple payments and reduce the amount of time you have to spend reconciling multiple payments (deposit, follow-up payments) to a single transaction or sale.

Let me know if this is what you're looking for! 

336 Comments

Sometimes I need to only charge for part of an hourly service instead of a full project price or product. For example: say I need to invoice for 1 hour and 38 minutes. Currently, I can only put a whole number in so I can't charge the right way and the qty column ideally should have a way to put a decimal in so the price would adjust accordingly. Having one would allow me to invoice more effectively and accurately. Most invoicing systems out there use this already like PayPal, Freshbooks, etc. See what I am referring to the image here: https://unfoldcreative.co/new-page

Where is this on your priority list? It needs to be escalated. Seems 21 pages of responses and 1.5 years would suffice for voice of customer feedback. I don’t need to get on a conference call to explain this to someone. Just expedite it so it is functional for those of us in an industry that take partial payments. It makes me crazy that I have to manually write an invoice for my customer to show their partial payment. I can use the “discount” feature but the accounting is not correct then and I have to spend time explaining it. 

Square Community Moderator

Hi @Hdgraphics

This is one of the highest requested features that our Invoice team has seen in the past 1.5 years, so it's definitely high on our priority list and something we're currently working on. 

We know it would make a huge difference for our sellers businesses, so thank you for being patient for us thus far and keep an eye out for updates in the future. 

Any update to this problem?

Hi @kglass

I chimed in on this thread a couple of days ago, but unfortunately there's nothing new to report as of right now. We're working on it, so keep an eye out for updates. 

They have been working on this request for YEARS...seriously...it's not months anymore...it is years.  They don't seem to think this is an important thing in which to invest for their customers.  If you need a solution for partial payments, Square isn't going to help you.  Try PayPal; they offer it.  Whatever anyone says on here, or whatever anyone requests, they simply say they are working on it...that it's such a difficult thing to add...that their engineers are working on it...that they are going to release a Beta to everyone in this thread for testing.........etc., etc., etc.  We've decided that it isn't going to happen and we are otherwise happy with Square; so, we came up with an accounting work-around involving Square's invoicing capability that is successful for us.  A few more steps...but a lot easier than switching to another processor.  Good luck if you're waiting for this functionality; Square doesn't seem to see it as a priority at all.

@coloexposures Glad to hear you're still happy with us, even though we're taking a long while to get this specific feature rolled out. 

This is a priority for us, even though it might not seem so. Keep an eye out for updates in the future and in the meantime, can you share your workaround? I'm sure all of the sellers in this thread would love to hear more about how you make it work for your business. 

EJ - with all due respect...something that is a PRIORITY gets done.  This isn't, and hasn't, gotten done.  If it was a priority, we'd all be using your product instead of spending our time telling others that it ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN!  And, then being asked BY YOU what OUR work-arounds are?!?  Are you kidding me?  YOU ARE THE BIG Corporation here...and you are supposed to help US with making this work so we don't have to figure out our own solution.  WE AREN'T Getting PAID to come up with a work-around, SQUARE is getting my 2.75% EVERY FREAKING DAY...and you don't seem to want to address an issue that is years old.  Your excuses are old and moldy for those of us that have been watching this thread for years.

You could say this issue is a "project" that will some day come to pass...but, you can NOT say it is a priority.  Priority has come and gone.  If I had a priority for my business that took 2 years...I wouldn't have any customers left.

Our work-around is painful...invoicing every month with Square's invoicing functionality...and putting in the notes how much has been paid to date and how much is still owing.  Then entering payments into our invoicing software when they are made.  It works for us as we only have a handful of 'payment plans' at any given time.  But, for another business that has loads of them, this would not be an acceptable solution as the time invested is significant.   And reconciling at the end of each quarter/year is a super pain.  We WANT to help our customers by offering a payment plan ... why can't Square WANT to help us?  It would really benefit you/Square to get off of your rusty-dusty and work for your customers.  I know 4 of my business colleagues that have switched to PayPal for 2018...one of them does over $300K a year in credit transactions...  2.75% of that is  $8250.00.  That loss of customers for Square is not insignificant. 

Now, EJ, get to work.

Thanks for sharing @coloexposures

While I know your workaround is the ideal solution, it's a huge help for folks who need a solution for the time being. 

We're already at work on this, so I'll post an update if anything new comes along 👍🏼

My work around is Paypal

i waited and waited, now I’m doing business without redoing invoices or trying to figure out who had a deposit and ....... 

paypal 👍🏻