x

Can you scan a barcode to apply discounts?

Can you scan a barcode to apply discounts?

Hello-

We operate a nonprofit wolf sanctuary and we use Square POS for our gift shop and admissions. Some of our members get discounts and free admission. 

Is there a way to use a barcode and scanner to apply discounts or free admission? 

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can you scan a barcode to apply discounts?

@Wolf_Hollow - Welcome to the Seller Community and kudos on your first post! 👏  As for your question, I've heard this request from a number of others. While we don't currently offer this functionality, I'd love to see us add this feature in the future. It could definitely save some time, especially for those sellers with many discounts. 

If you're using a tablet, I'd suggest setting up an discounts folder in your Item Grid. This can save a little bit of time. I'll also be sure to pass along the feedback to our product liaison team. I'll also update this thread in the future if this functionality is introduced. 

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

12 Comments
Square

@Wolf_Hollow - Welcome to the Seller Community and kudos on your first post! 👏  As for your question, I've heard this request from a number of others. While we don't currently offer this functionality, I'd love to see us add this feature in the future. It could definitely save some time, especially for those sellers with many discounts. 

If you're using a tablet, I'd suggest setting up an discounts folder in your Item Grid. This can save a little bit of time. I'll also be sure to pass along the feedback to our product liaison team. I'll also update this thread in the future if this functionality is introduced. 

PS) If my answer solved your problem, would you mind marking it as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find what they're looking for. If not, just write back, and I'll continue to help. Thanks!

Can I have a barcode that scans as an admission at $0.00?

Square

@Wolf_Hollow - You sure can. You'll just need to create an item, and then leave the price field blank. 👍

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can a discount have a bar code

We have some paper coupons that I would like to print a bar code on, for ease of processing. Can a bar code be associated with a discount? I can't find a way to do it, and it would be really helpful.

Admin

@ORO It's not possible to create a bar code for a discount currently but I definitely understand how it would speed things up for you! 

I've moved your post to this thread where we're tracking this request and where Sean provided a workaround

Is there a way to use the barcode scanner to apply discounts… This would be handy for coupon mailers and such

Alumni

Hey @SCT , currently this is a feature request that we're continuing to track. I moved your post over to this thread to join others who's asking for the same thing. We'll come back to this thread when we hear any updates about this!

Beta Member

I would also like to be able to use a bar code to apply a discount, both at POS and through the Square online store.

Admin

Hey @Ginger_Bauer-

This is a feature request we're still developing. We'll make sure to post an update in this thread when we have one! 

Hello,

Is the ability to Scan a Barcode to apply a discount still not an option after 3 years of people requesting this option?

Thank You