x

Print customer name on receipt

Print customer name on receipt

This has been requested by Square users since at least 2017 yet it seems the feature has still not been rolled out.

It is imperative that customer names print on the receipt, not just the last four digits of the credit card number.

We manually enter card information from our donors and then shred the paperwork for privacy protection. There is no way to retrieve this data if human error misses the step of hand-writing the donor's name on the printed receipt.

If the name was already on the receipt, we also wouldn't have to print a copy.

51 Comments

I've noticed when our receipts print, only the last 4 numbers of the credit card used show. Is there a way to also show the last name on the card? I've used square to pay before from other vendors and my last name appears on the printed receipt, so I know it's possible. How do I set this up?

Admin

Hi @Madrigal, welcome to the seller community and thanks for bringing this up! 👋🏻

At this time, customer names aren’t included on your printed receipts. For now, you can access this information from your Transactions tab.

We are tracking this request — so that I can provide more details to our Product Liaison team, can you share more information on why showing the customer name on the printed receipt would be helpful? Thanks!

I wasn't aware I could access this information through the transaction tab--thanks for that! 

We own a child care center and for accounting purposes I need to know who's paying along with receipt number and which classrooms is each payment is coming in from. The classroom part I resolved by naming each classroom a different "Item", but we've had to be careful to hand write the customer's last name on the receipt. I wish it would just print with the customer's name to eliminate the "human" error--it's happened before that someone forgets to write it down. 

I had 4 transactions yesterday and only one listed the customer name. Is there a way to see the customer name on each transaction?

Admin

Hey @michelleg25, thanks for reaching out! If your customer's name was captured during the sale, you'll be able to view it from your Directory tab, along with their recent activity with your business.

Learn more about this in our Support Center: Viewing Customer Information

If you'd like a team member to have a closer look at account specifics, please reach out to our Support Team. Hope this helps!

Thanks for your help! I did see that, but it seems that only one card (customer name) was captured.

Admin

Thanks for your update. Sometimes, customer information isn't captured if the card is damaged — though 1 out of 4 does sound unusually low.🤔

If you could, please let our Support Team know which payments this happened with and they'll be able to take a deeper dive into any possible issues.

I would love to see this feature!  I work at a school and for our accounting purposes we track purchases by student name because our other systems (Lunch money, uniform fees, yearbooks, etc) are all tracked by student name.  So we currently pick the student as a "customer" (yes if there are two siblings, we run two transactions) but we are forced to hand write the student name on the receipt so that it is easier to track.  If there was an option to include or not include the Customer name on the receipt, that would be great and so much easier for us.  Also, I am wondering if there might be a way to setup the printers to print 2 reciepts automatically instead of only one.  Thank you!

I would like to see this feature added too. Sometimes customers mail in their credit card number to pay a bill, and I key in the transaction. But if this is the first time they are paying with this credit card, their name is not automatically captured. I print out a PDF copy of all transactions, but when I go back to look at the transaction, there is no name and if I can't remember who it was, I have no idea who paid it. 

I would also like this feature. I have customers who use more than 1 credit card and having the name captured on the transaction screen as well as the printed receipt would make simplify looking up history to confirm purchases or class history for our clients.