x

Can I use multiple Square readers with the same Square account?

I new in this and I would like to use 2 square readers with the same bank account? Can I?

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 88
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Great questions! 👍

You can definitely do this. You will just need to download the Square Point of Sale app onto each mobile device, and sign in using the same Square account (username and password). The readers don't actually have any account information tied to them - the app is the brains of the operation. 

Hope this helps!  

This post was edited by a moderator in October 2020.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 88
87 REPLIES 87

Please I really need help to connect my second square reader 

Message 22 of 88
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @Tissam,

You can definitely do this. You will just need to download the Square Point of Sale app onto your mobile device, and sign in using the same Square account. The readers don't actually have any account information tied to them, the app is the brains of the operation. 

Ellie
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 23 of 88

I did make it work thank you so much. 

Message 24 of 88

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Can two square readers both be used on the same account?

If I have two square readers can they both be used on the same a bank account

Message 25 of 88

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: How to add more Square Readers to the same account?

How to add more than 1 square to the same already activated account before tomorrow.

Message 26 of 88
Alumni

Hi @CharityHope! Thanks for posting. 😃  

It sounds like you'd like to set up another reader on a new device for your organization. Is that right? If so, follow these steps:

1. On the new device,  download the Square Point of Sale app
  2. Log into your account  on the new device using the same email address and password
  3. Plug the Square Magstripe reader into your device. (Or connect the Contactless Reader via bluetooth.)

Square Readers can be ordered through our website, but they won't arrive by tomorrow. If you don't have an extra one, they can be picked up from Staples, Best Buy, and other retail locations. (Click that link to find a store near you!) Keep in mind though your first magstripe reader is free, additional magstripe readers cost $10.

I hope that helps you out! If I didn't get your question quite right, feel free to follow up with additional details.

Message 27 of 88

Thank you so much for getting back to me so quickly.  I have 3 readers that I want to activate to my account but currently only one device.  I am going to ask everyone to bring their own laptops tomorrow and pre download the square ap.  Will that work and can these squares be used on any device once activated???  Really appreciate your time.

Message 28 of 88
Alumni

Sure thing! We're happy to help, and I'm really excited for your event tomorrow! You'll have to let me know how it goes.

A couple of things to clarify:

1) Here's a list of the supported devices you can use with a Square reader: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/3887-devices-compatible-with-the-square-magstripe-and-chip-c...

2) The readers themselves do not need to be activated, and they can be used on any device. The key is making sure the Square Register app downloaded on the device, and you've logged into the account. You cannot accept a payment unless you are logged into the app.

Hope that all makes sense, and please feel free to keep asking questions if you have them! Also - if you're going to be in an area with spotty cell phone reception, you may want to enable Offline Mode as a backup. Here's directions on how to do that: https://squareup.com/help/ca/en/article/5095-process-payments-with-offline-mode

Good luck!!

Message 29 of 88

My employees are trying to log into the App on their phones using the email address I have set up in Register (mobile location) for them and using their device codes that were sent to them, but Square won't recognize their email address.  If they log in with Create Account, it thinks they want to open an new Register account.  We're stuck in a vicious circle.

Message 30 of 88

I do not want a Square reader. I have one.

I want to knmow how to add people to my account, so they can check invoices, make an invoice, see financial status (who has paid, who has not, etc...)

I want to add two of my bookeepers! How do I link them to my account??????????????????

Message 31 of 88
Alumni

Hi @Junglequeen - sorry to hear about the trouble!

To give other people their own access to your account, you will need to subscribe to Employee Management. Your bookkeepers can be set as Administrators or Authorized Users.  

If you would like, you can call Square Support.

Message 32 of 88

this didn't help.  I have 2 readers and 2 different checking accounts.  I just tried the new reader and it looks like it will be going to put the money in Bank account A but I want to put it into another bank account.  How do I set that up.

Message 33 of 88

Hello @Studio2610, I'm sorry that none of the previous comments covered your situation, but I can provide some clarity. 

Square Readers are not connected to any specific bank account. Think of your reader as a universal remote, it can be hooked up to a number of devices and isn't permanently married to any of them. 

Your bank account is directly linked to your Square Account. No matter what device you sign into, wether it be your own device, or a friends iPad the payments will still land in your linked bank account. 

Currently you can only have one bank account linked to a location at a time. To add your second bank account you would have to create a new location on your Square Dashboard. We have a great Support Center article called Manage Multiple Locations with Square, this article will give you a step by step guide on how to create a new location. 

If you want to switch between checking accounts you will have to sign out of the Point of Sale app and select a new location to sign into. 

If you have any other questions please let me know! 🙂

Message 34 of 88

Is it possible to order a second square reader at the same location?

Message 35 of 88
Super Seller Alumni

Yes, You can pick one up from a retailer or order one from Square here.

Message 36 of 88

@blitz123, that's right: you can use more than one Square Reader with the same Square account.  We've been able to connect three Readers to three different devices (tablet and phones) and have them all accept cards at the same time.

To accomplish this, you just need to have the Square Register app on all your devices and then log them all into the same Square account.

Message 37 of 88

What is the Square Register app? ("To accomplish this, you just need to have the Square Register app on all your devices and then log them all into the same Square account.")

Message 38 of 88
Super Seller

@jaskold this thread is so old that the Square Register app name isn't around anymore.  It is called Square POS.  you can download it to as many devices you want and just log in with your account and they will all work into your account.

Message 39 of 88

Got it, thanks! I just ordered a second reader, will be using Square POS at two locations at the same time, assuming it will work fine.
Message 40 of 88
Super Seller

Message 41 of 88

I have two readers but have been unable to have them work at the same time! I have logged into my account, but I don't see "Square POS." Is that different than just logging into the app?

Message 42 of 88