x
Alumni

Share the Love: Best Practices for Square’s Referral Program

It’s holiday season and you know what that means; there are mad dashes to the stores and lots of family, but hopefully many moments of gratitude, too. In the spirit of holiday giving, let’s talk about Square Referrals to share some love ❤️ !

Square Referrals can be a powerful tool as you grow your business. Some sellers love referrals because of the free processing reward (we’ll be sure to talk about those below 😉), but others just like the idea of paying it forward 🙏 . We love to hear Sellers sharing the power of Square.

This article will talk through the how-to’s of setting up and sharing your referral link, as well as best practices. Let’s get started!

What are Referrals and What are the Rewards?

Square Referrals is a program to say a big thank you to Sellers who recommend Square. When a Square Seller tells another business owner about Square and this business owner signs up to Square, we show our gratitude by offering to reimburse the fees of $1000 of credit card processing to both the new Square Seller and the one who made the referral over the following 180 days (6 months).

After each payment, Square automatically credits your Square balance for the transaction fee, and the reimbursements will be grouped with your next deposit.

Once you process $1,000 of payments or 180 calendar days has passed (whichever occurs first), you’ll be automatically charged your usual per-transaction fee going forward.

How to Find Your Referral Code and Customize It

Each of you has a referral link with a code that is unique to your Square account. This code is automatically generated from the first 10 characters of your business name.

To find your code, go to your Dashboard → Earn Rewards. It’s all the way at the bottom of your left hand navigation, so scroll down!

Screen_Shot_2017-12-12_at_3_06_47_PM.png

Once you click on “Earn Rewards”, a new screen will appear that has more information about rewards, including your personalized referral link and code. There is it in the gray box (see screenshot below)!

When making a referral, this is the link you should have your referee click. It will lead them to a customized sign up page that gives you and them credit for joining Square. More on that to follow!

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 12.06.15 PM.png

Say you’re not in love with your sharing code- no worries! You can customize your referral code by clicking on the “CUSTOMIZE” text to the left of your personalized URL. The code you choose must be a combination of 10 digits and/or characters too.

How to Share Your Referral Code

Sharing your referral code from your dashboard is easy! There are three options for sharing your referral code to find your way to free processing.

#1 Social Share Buttons: Underneath your personalized URL, there are three social sharing buttons. You have the option to share to Twitter, Facebook, or email.

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 12.07.27 PM.png

When you click on one of these buttons, it will open up a new window with an already composed message and include your code for sharing. You can edit that message as you wish or share straight away.

#2 Include on Your Receipts: You can also share your referral code on your business receipts. To set this up, go to the option under the social share buttons, entitled “Share Referral Link on Your Square Receipt.” Click on “Manage your receipt settings.” From there, you will be able to add your referral code to all your printed and emailed receipts.

#3 Share your Direct Link: You can also share your link directly by copying and pasting. This is a great way to share on a one to one basis.

Tracking your Rewards

When someone uses your referral code to activate a Square account, you will receive an email notification. Both you and your referee will receive $1,000 in free processing.

Your dashboard allows you to keep track of all of your earned rewards and referrals. Under the “Your Rewards” section (still in “Earned Rewards”), you can see all of your referrals, how much processing you’ve used, and how much you have left.

Screen Shot 2017-12-21 at 12.08.45 PM.png

It’s important to remember that processing fees will be taken out during your transactions and then reimbursed as a deposit. So don’t despair if it looks like you are still be charged processing fees! You can check your Sales Reports for a line item of reimbursed processing fees in each deposit.

What Does It Look Like from the Activation Side?

Your referrals can activate their new Square account in two ways.

#1 Using a Direct Link

Whether they’ve received your direct link from a social channel, email, or another way, your referral should go to your personalized referral link to sign up. When they land on the page, it should look like this:

Screen_Shot_2017-12-12_at_3_50_02_PM.png

At the top of the screen, you can see your email as the account who referred them to Square. This is the account that will be credited the $1000 in free processing.

They will then be prompted to follow the sign up instructions. Upon activation of their account, both you and your referral will receive free processing.

Have you used your referral code? How do you share it? Are there certain rewards you would like to see for successfully sharing your code?

Message 1 of 14
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Kenpatsb - I've added you to this thread where we included instructions for referrals, including where to find how much free processing you have left. 👌

View Best Answer >

Message 3 of 14
13 REPLIES 13

I haven't used my account since signing yoo with 180 days of free processing. How do I find out if I still have it?

Message 2 of 14
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @Kenpatsb - I've added you to this thread where we included instructions for referrals, including where to find how much free processing you have left. 👌

Message 3 of 14

I keep going on my dash board looking for my free processing credit but I cannot find it. I would like to know when its getting low so I can refer more people. Where do I check my balance? 

Message 4 of 14
Alumni

Hi @Robinbob36 - See above for a screenshot of where you can find your free processing balance! 

Message 5 of 14

I signed up for square under my friend's link and was told that her and I would get $1000 in transactions fee free. Well, I just did my first transaction and a fee was taken out. I am confused - Please help! TIA!

Message 6 of 14
Alumni

Hi @kallen - We address your question in the article above. It's also helpful for finding out where to track your free processing. Hope this helps!

Message 7 of 14

We are a new girl scout troop and I am trying to figure out how to use this for our cookie sales.  I was told that the first $1000 was free for girl scouts but I cannot figure out how to set this up so we get the free processing on the first $1000 of sales.

Message 8 of 14
Alumni

Hi @jhauenst - See this guide above for best practices with referrals and to get your credit!

Message 9 of 14

How do you send the link to someone so they can start using Square?

Message 10 of 14
Alumni

Hi @Rece - You can find instructions for how to share you referral link above! 👌

Message 11 of 14

Above where? Still don't see it. Have done it before but don't see it anymore. Sorry 

Message 12 of 14
Admin

Sorry for the confusion @Rece! You can read the full post by clicking on the previous page (click the number 1 in blue below).

Or, you can go to that page by using this link: Share the Love: Best Practices for Square’s Referral Program

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 13 of 14

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "how do i get the 1000 in free processing" The author has been notified via email.

how do i get the 1000 in free processing ?

Message 14 of 14