x

Thai language prints on customer receipt but not kitchen ticket?

Hi can get tickets on thermal receipt to print Thai language but not the kitchen impact printer. I installed Thai language on impact printer but still just prints jibberish. Can you help?

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Admin

Hmm, sorry for the frustration @Thaifood. You can add Thai characters to the item name and description and kitchen tickets should print out correctly. The Star Micronics SP742ML is the only ethernet impact kitchen printer that is supported with Square at this time. What printer are you using? 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 16

I have the sp742. Initially kitchen would just print ?????? Question marks for the Thai font. The sp100 reciept printer prints the Thai no problems.

so I talked  to the star support they had me change a setting on the sp742 printer settings for Thai. So now the printer will print Thai on the sample of printer status but on the tickets it still prints as ?????   

star support says it is a setting that needs to be switched on by square staff? Still looking for a solution if you have any ideas 

Message 3 of 16
Admin

Thanks for letting me know that @Thaifood. Please run through these printer troubleshooting steps when you have time. If you're still seeing question marks on printed kitchen tickets call our CS team so we can escalate this to our engineering team. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 4 of 16

I tried all the trouble shooting steps outlined... still no luck. Star Micronics told me today the sp100 and sp742 use a different way to communicate and it is something needs to be switched in the square app. Who would I contact to resolve this? Thank you!!!

Message 5 of 16
Admin

Hmm, I noticed that you mention you changed the language of your printer. Can you try changing it back to English? If you enter the name of your item in Thai (you'll need to switch your iPad's keyboard to Thai) you don't need to change the printer language settings. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 6 of 16

I only changed the printer settings to Thai because it was not working in the original setting. The Thai setting also includes English. Should I reset it and to the factory English?

Message 7 of 16
Admin

Yes, please. If that doesn't do the trick please call our CS team so we can escalate this to our engineering team.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 8 of 16

Ok I’ll try it tonight when I get back to the shop. Thank you and I’ll let you know the results 🙂

Message 9 of 16

Thanks for your help Helen but the customer service said they have no support or need for Thai text because square does not do business in Thailand. 😞 they did put a feature request though....

Message 10 of 16

Helen 

i was was wondering if there was someone at square I could pay to get this feature.  Not being able to support Thai text diminishs the usefulness of square a lot for me. 

Message 11 of 16
Admin

I'm so sorry @Thaifood! We've been testing this hear and we're seeing the same result, we can only other characters to print on the TSP 100 printer too.  😞

There isn't a way for us to enable this for you (if I could I would!) but I'll share your request with the hardware team. Thanks for also calling in to share your request!

We'd be really sorry to see you leave Square but I totally understand if that's what you need to do for your business. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 12 of 16

Thank you Helen 

i am am happy to hear you are testing it also. Please if you can encourage the programmers to add this feature, I am sure it will help attract and retain business if it is Thai, Chinese, etc and help you retain customers. 

I am new to square and still have not processed yet. I am just trying to get the system dialed in before we go live. Still waiting for the techs to input menu etc so I can get started with square. 

Its not a deal killer yet but it would be WAY better for my kitchen staff who some are not proficient in English. I just assumed, it was not advertised, that with the iPad and square’s other features that it would be compatible with Thai. I am sure that it is just coding and software compatibility that should be easy if you work with Star Micronics or other hardware. 

I would say for requests such such as this and others about gratuity and the way tickets are printed (like having options to change the way items print in the kitchen—- like print item twice as opposed to print 2x item to make it easier to read) it would be great if even like me I am willing to pay money just to get the feature. Please just help us do it and make it work. Also for dine in and to-go tickets if there was a way to make them look different so the kitchen staff can tell by a quick look instead of reading the fine print. 

More options and the ability to fine tune the program would be greatly appropriate. 

This is is one reason I paid the extra money to have square staff input my menu because I don’t even know how to add an item to the menu and not have it print to the kitchen—like a Pepsi. If you can add in the software to have options that for me is the key, each business can set them to their needs—the same thing we offer to our customers, options. 

Also so if we can hold, delay, or set a timer for items to be sent to the kitchen, it would be appreciated. 

Alohah, micros, and mynt  offer these these but they are more expensive. But if square can bridge the gap you will definitely win me over and many more accounts as well. 

I will say that you, Helen, and the Star Micronics team have responded to my concerns more than the technician assigned to transfer the menu onto square as they have not replied to emails. I am excited to try square but have been hitting some bumps in the road along the way before I’m out the gate. 

Thank you for your time and input. Let me know if you have any updates or new services. 

Message 13 of 16
Admin

@Thaifood Thanks for your message and for your feedback about your experience getting started. I'm sorry to hear you've hit a few bumps in the road but I'm sure the team you're working with will make smooth everything out before you go live! (That's so exciting!)

It sounds like you're already following a few threads about feature requests, so just to let you know if you want to be notified of updates to a thread just click 'Subscribe' at the top of a thread (you need to be signed in to see this option). When you subscribe to a thread you'll get an email every time a new post is added to it.

Of course if you start a post, like this one, you don't need to subscribe. We'll certainly update this post if other languages can be printed on tickets to the SP742 kitchen printer. Thanks for your patience in the meantime.

I hope you'll post again to let us know how you're business is getting on when you're open! 😀

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 14 of 16

Any updates on adding Thai characters? We contacted support yesterday but had no luck. They said it was the printer but we have the same one Square sells. Our other POS can print English and Thai through the same printer. Please update this feature as we will totally go with Square if you can make this possible.

Message 15 of 16
Square Community Moderator

Hi @chimmtaste Thanks for reaching out about this. At this time we do not have a timeline for this feature, but I'm happy to share it with our development team. I appreciate your feedback as I think it's important to have multiple languages print on the tickets as well. 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 16 of 16