x

Can a square device be locked to an account not just a device?

Hi,

We want to use the Square device at events for our School Parents and Citizens assocation where we raise money for the school.

The one concern I have relates to ensuring the correct account gets the funds.

We will have many volunteers using the square device at different times and I am concerned that if someone wanted to they could pair the device to an account not linked to the P&C association's square account and therefore our bank account and take payments at the event that never reach our account but went to them.

If they were smart they could switch on the fly and take a portion so it wasnt noticed and we wouldnt know it occured.

Is the bluetooth Square device locked to an account or can it be assigned to another account on the fly and pose this security risk?

Thanks

Dave

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller

there is not a way to lock a reader to an account.  that is the beauty of the "dumb devices" but yes it can be an issue if you have an unscrupulous user.

you can use device codes and guest mode accesses together to not allow a device once signed in access the ability to sign out.  that will at least stop them from being able to change the logged in account.  you will have to sign them in with a device code and you will have a pin code to enter to sign them out at the end of the event.

https://squareup.com/dashboard/business/devices

https://squareup.com/dashboard/employees/permissions/roles

Message 2 of 4

Thanks, I thought this was a security hole for my use.

I wonder if the new Square Terminal (not released here) will resolve this.

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller

The square terminal will be just like all devices that you can sign in to whatever account you want.  I have 3 accounts so having a reader tied to a specific account would be a pain remembering which device goes with which account and mean having to buy 3 times the equipment.

Message 4 of 4