x
Beta Member

How are others that price by a decimal quantities working their charges?

We sell our farm's meat and poultry at farmer's markets, on farm and by delivery, and price mostly by the pound.  I'd love to have the ability to set the quantity to a decimal input, so I can enter the weight on the package meat and be able to have a set price on the item, but that is still not available.  So most of our items are just "variable" pricing, and I have to have a calculator in one hand, or go to back and forth from the calculator app on my phone to Square, to calculate the price on all our beef and pork.  The only other option I've been told is to set a price for .01 or .001 lb, and enter the decimal amount in as a whole number.  So if a Pork Shoulder Roast is $8.00/lb, and weights are in tenths, like 2.78 lbs, I'd have to set the price for the item as $.08 and input the quantity as 278, since it only takes whole numbers.  This seems like an expensive accident just waiting to happen.  And trying to explain why I have to do this to customers, and how it would show up on their receipts, just doesn't seem worth it, even if it would save time not having to calulate everything while inputing.  Are their any other farmers, butchers, or others who price by decimal quantities doing it this way successfully?  If so, do customers care?

Message 1 of 315
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Square now offers the ability to charge decimal quantities. Start by visiting Items in Dashboard, then set the unit type. You can choose from a list of preset units, such as pounds, ounces, and feet.

You can also choose to add your own custom unit — in whole number or decimal quantities. Learn more here

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 313 of 315
314 REPLIES 314

Precisely!  I'm a service provider and I also sell hardware and software.  I should be able to enter 1.25, 1.5, for the quantity in invoices. I really can't use Square's invoice system for this reason and the workarounds are a pain in the ass.

Message 127 of 315
Beta Member

The Quantities matter to accountants, inventory managers and most importantly the customer. Nobody wants to see 50 when they just purchased 5 pounds. When counting inventory you don’t want to see you have sold 50 when you only sold 5. This is a big deal and I do not see why it is just brushed off by square. I have made sure that I don’t subscribe to any of the other services because you will not fix this one simple fix that is in a program that is still making your company plenty of money. 

Message 128 of 315

Now they have an appointment feature that supports fractional-hour appointments, but still no decimals on invoices.  I'm looking into RepairShopr - It does a huge amount more, and they actually solve issues the customers complain about without waiting FOR YEARS.

Message 129 of 315
Beta Member

I do not understand why they are so steadfast to not implement this simple fix. Decimal calculations are in the app already. They just need to fix their mistake. I don’t understand why a company would not want to please there customers for a request that is still being ask for for two years plus now. 

Message 130 of 315
Alumni

Hi @ICS-Sean & @AlanA - Thanks for leaving your feedback about this feature request. Our product manager for invoices @rohini is very active on this forum and reads these comments so it's a great way to show your support for a feature.

In January, she actually did a Q&A session where she addresses feature development and why it can take so long. I encourage you to check it out. 

Message 131 of 315

Thank you Katie.  In this case, it would seem making a quantity field support decimal places would not require much development time.  Existing data in those fields would simply show, for example, 5.00 instead of 5.  Perhaps this is just a settings for invoicing where we can specify how many decimal places we need and default to none.  Hundreds, and eventually thousands of dollars of fees will have to go to PayPal because I can only use them to accept payments from invoices that I have to create in another system.

I love Square for its simplicity, but this missing "feature" should be considered basic functionality in my opinion.

Thanks!

Message 132 of 315

I would like to add my voice to this list of requests. Right now I'm putting the details (x hours at x rate for a total of X) in the notes and then making the quantity 1 with the total billing in the cost per item. But as others have noted, it's a workaround and it would be very nice to have fractional quantities.

Thanks!

Message 133 of 315

I am wondering when square is going to fix this mistake. It seams like a no brainer to be able to bill for 1.5 hrs on an hourly item. QTY = 1.5

It sounds like very poor customer support. I would be out of business if I let a mistake like this go on for this long.

Message 134 of 315
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this @Les_Ayers

Fractional quantities is definitely on our roadmap this year.I don't have an exact date for you, but keep an eye out for updates in the near future. We'll definitely post an update once we're able to get this rolled out for everyone. 

Message 135 of 315

So it's now 2019...Is there a date set for when this feature will be rolled out? I'm trying to figure out whether or not to continue with Square this coming season and it all hinges on this feature. I'm a farmer and I sell most of my produce by the pound. It rarely weighs exactly a pound! My invoices (which I print as packing slips) are a headache to read when I've had to use "10th of lb" amounts. Worse, it looks horribly unprofessional when my customers are invoiced for 86 cucumbers, when they really received 8.6lbs. There's so much I love about Square, but I ended up just using excel last season because of this. I'm hoping not to have to look for another program. Thank-you.

Message 136 of 315
Admin

Hey @farmersol, I'm really sorry to hear how this issue is impacting your workflow—we definitely want to prevent any confusion between our buyers and sellers. Our Point of Sale team continues to work on this issue, but there aren't any specific updates that I can access right now.

If you haven't had the chance to review already, this thread has additional information from a member of the product team who is working on this (see "Verified Answer"): How are others that price by a decimal quantities working their charges?

I hope you'll keep in touch with us as we'll certainly announce any developments that come through.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 137 of 315

This was implemented quite a while ago...  You can define the unit type on each item that you sell, and different unit types can have different numbers of decimals.

This post is from April 2019.  I use decimal quantities every day.

https://www.sellercommunity.com/t5/General-Discussion/Decimal-Quantities-Beta-is-live/td-p/119361

Message 138 of 315

I truely hope this feature becomes available very very soon. As we sell fuel and it almost always has need of decimal points.  This one feature is the reason we are unable to use this product for our company.  Sad that something so simple can't be implemented sooner rather than later. Customer service is always top priority in any business and having to explain each and every receipt as to why it is measured in centiliters versus liters is a time consumming effort for our staff and causes the customer to question the accuracy. 

Message 139 of 315

It's been two years and you still don't have this implemented?  Is it time to look for another processor?

Message 140 of 315

But you can scan the barcode generated by the scale with Square? Can we link the barcodes generated by the scale with our product SKU's?

Message 141 of 315

Agreed. This should not still be in the backlog. This is a critical enhancement (and speaking as a professional software developer, on the face of it, a relatively small lift) that would open up a huge new swath of business types for Square. It should be a priority.

Message 142 of 315

I am a programmer too, and this would be one of the simplest data migrations - casting an integer to a float. C'mon Square devs!

Message 143 of 315

I thought I was missing some custom formatting feature in Invoicing...the community comments answered: NO DECIMAL /partial QUANTITIES????  Apparently I am not the only person who bills his time... I am going to create two Items...Consulting Rate (Hours) and Consulting Rate (Minutes)... PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE ASAP...It is much more important and dare I say critical to our business's self respect and Squares.  Fancy coat...no shoes. 

Message 144 of 315

Just chiming in on this topic since it appears that Square is paying attention to this thread (which I'm relieved to see). 

We do about $150,000 in sales per year on Square. 99% of it is in decimal quantities. We implemented the suggested solution to move the decimal place so that $10 per pound is $1.0 per pound and the quantity moves from 1.2 to 12. It works, but I field a question/complaint from a customer about once per week on just what the heck did we charge them for! Their bill makes no sense! They KNOW that they didn't by 52 pounds of hamburger! How dare I?! I explain it's a Square thing as best I can. Some come back. Some don't. This issue is costing me customers. It is critical. Please give an ETA on when/if this will be addressed. Otherwise I need a new POS. I'd love to hear from someone directly with Square for an answer to this topic. I'd really don't feel like changing POS systems but this is costing me business. 

Message 145 of 315
Square

@ninjacowfarm - Appreciate the detailed post!

@NavyPoint - While I can't offer an ETA for this feature, I can assure you that your feedback isn't being ignored. I'll definitely pass this along to our product liason team! Thanks for sharing! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 146 of 315

I am wondering why this issue is taking so long to solve. I am new to square and was completely thrown off and disappointed by my inability to use decimal quantities on the register app. My entire business depends on it.

If this issue has been going for so long with no resolution, I question whether or not the "product liason team" even exists or cares about their customer's requests. It looks like a large percentage of sellers relying on square would benefit from this one (might I venture to say tiny and/or easy) addition to the app.

Message 147 of 315