x

Alert/Flag/Pop-up notification when customer selected

As far as I can tell, this isn't currently an option. However, it would be a great feature if you could turn on an alert so that when a customer is selected the employee sees something... a flag or alert symbol, or even a pop-up message, that would direct them to the customer's notes (if not display the message directly). I could see this being used for VIP customers, perhaps the owner of the business or their family, or even simple things such as the customer has a credit or free gift, even as trivial as the customer forgot their umbrella on their last visit. 

It would be even better if this applied to when the customer was selected for a sale and in the dashboard when viewing a customer or their receipt.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Admin

Thanks for your post @hundleybk, I absolutely see how this would be useful and I'll send this request to the Customers team!

In the meantime, @VanKalkerFarms @RHatch @pessosices @LocavoreStore do you have any tips/workarounds on how to identify VIP customers in Square or how to keep track of notes for returning customers that you'd like share?

😀

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

This would be a great feature!!!  This could be implimented in the Notes reminder, Instead of selecting a day you could select next visit or next visit after a date.  Right now I just post a list,  I upgraded from stone to paper so progress.    I have thought about adding an * to the end of the last name like "Doe*" to let my staff know there is a note for the customer.  Then they can scroll down to see the note.  Problem is someone would have to make sure it is removed so we don't do the same thing every time they come in.  

Message 3 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

I can definitely see how this would be a great feature for a lot of businesses!

We're super high volume and fast paced, so don't really do anything to identify customers formally. We don't attach customers to transactions, except for using the Loyalty program, where the customer does this themselves by entering their phone number at the end of the Transaction.

Great idea, @RHatch! Super simple and easy way to see if there's a note that should be checked!

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 4 of 16
Admin

Thanks so much @RHatch! Stone > paper > Square? 😀

I'll keep you updated on any progress on this feature! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 5 of 16
Super Seller

That would be a great feature. We tend to get to know those kinds of customers rather well, by nature of how often they visit, and we'll often reme.her those kinds of things anyway, so we don't really use the notes. A reminder that they have a reward ready to redeem would be a nice touch. Most people seem to forget, or feel too imbarrased (or something) to bring it up themselves. As it stands I always wait until the end of checkout to get the customers information because it's an extra few clicks to add them to a sale beforehand which will force the choice of using a reward or not. We have a sticky note that we try to write down who (of our most regular CX) has a reward ready... That's about the only work around I can think of... (Lousy, I know)

People seem to be perplexed with the idea of telling us beforehand that they have a reward ready. If they don't have a piece of paper mailed to them, or have the reward applied automatically, they act kinda frustrated for some reason. Adding them to the sale before checkout could largely mitigate that, but it would require that we scroll down their customer page to read whether or not they have a reward before adding them... A way to search for them on the home screen without going to the menu might help a lot, without adding more time to the checkout process.

Message 6 of 16
Super Seller Alumni

@LocavoreStore - I definitely agree that having some type of different process for applying rewards would help a lot of business and customers, us included.

Whether it's awarded automatically, or (if it's a credit card transaction) given the option after the transaction, when they enter in their phone number, to retroactively apply the discount.

Or something even better that someone can come up with that I can't think of right now...

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 7 of 16
Admin

Thank you for your insight @LocavoreStore, I appreciate it! That's very interesting that some customers are reluctant to let you know they have a reward. 🤔  I do see that it would be handy to be able to send them a reminder or encourage them to redeem their reward. I'll share thread with the Loyalty and Customers teams, it's great! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 8 of 16
Admin

Thank you @pessosices! I'll share your feedback with the teams as well, it's much appreciated! 😀

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Message 9 of 16
Beta Member

It may be off-topic - but having a flag when a card, email, and/or phone number is used would be helpful for fraud as well. 

We would like to flag a customer as someone we do not want to do business with.  So if they attempted to order online using any of their existing information, it would not allow them to do so.  The "flag" could just direct them to call us directly.  

In our case, we have had customers who have initiated (and unfortunately, won, even though we have provided every piece of evidence of them ordering the food/drink) chargebacks on us and we would like to not give them that option to do so again if they were to use any attribute in our database (name, phone, email, credit card, etc)

Message 10 of 16
Beta Member

I think this is perfectly on-topic. A flag/pop-up applied to a customer could be used for many things. I love the idea of it translating over to the online store as well. Because we are seasonal, we tend to have some turn-over from year to year. While the core group of employees have been around from 5 to 30 years and may recognize certain repeat customers, newer employees will not. 

I would see us primarily using this to let the employee know that this customer is a VIP, Long-time customer, or adding a reminder that the customer has something extra to pick-up.

However, I could see us using it to notify the employee that this may be a "sensitive" or "difficult" customer, or as Apt9F said, a customer we no longer want to do business with to mitigate any charge backs or fraud.

Has there been any update on this from the development team?

Message 11 of 16
Square Community Moderator

At this time, there's no update on this feature yet. Thank you for highlighting this feature request @crystalimages - I'll let the team know that this is still something you'd like to see on your point of sale, and online! 

Message 12 of 16

I would definitely like to see a feature where you could flag a customer, and upon selecting them during checkout the flag would pop up to wan you. I would use this feature for people who are behind on paying there invoices. It would be very handy.  

Message 13 of 16

Same!

Message 14 of 16

Has there been any progress on this in the 3 years since it was originally brought up?  I have multiple "Problem" customers that Id love to flag.  My team works various days and not everyone knows each customer and we have high volume foot traffic and customer turnover and in my field, returns happen all the time because they play and beat a game and return within our policy or they then shop around and return when they find something cheaper.  Id love to be able to flag these customers to alert my staff to potential issues and or outright refuse to do business with the particularly bad ones.

I saw above that adding a note reminder could be a solution but the reminders are all time based and not "Next purchase" or "next activation" type.  Could be an easy way to remedy this as it seems like a pretty sought after feature.

Message 15 of 16

We have the same issue and would love to be able to "flag" some of our customers... Wondering if this update has been given....?

Message 16 of 16