x

Tip screen does not appear when I use the Other payment type nor does it print a tip line on receipt

The tip screen only shows up when using credit card payments but not when we use the Other Payment option, nor does it print a tip line on the receipt printer when using the Other payment option.

Tags (2)
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Square Community Moderator

While the Cash and Other Payment Method options are useful in tracking sales paid for by means other than credit or debit cards, we don't currently offer a way to record tips on these types of payments.

I've heard this request before, so it definitely seems like it would be useful for sellers. I'll be sure to let our Product Team know.

One work around I can think of that allows you to keep track of tips for these types of payments would be to add the tip amount in a Note for the transaction. 

Message 2 of 7

Please please square, allow tips to be entered at checkout with other payments such as cash and check. This would allow me to use only the square for all my transactions and would be a one stop shop. 

Message 3 of 7

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: “Is there a way to track tips for other payment methods?”. The original author has been notified via email.

I am wondering if there is way to track/add tips to a transaction using either the cash or check tender like there is when swiping a credit card? I need to be able to keep track of all tips accepted, and I am not able to figure out how to add a tip to a service. Also is there. Way to override a price if using the library to cash someone out? Example if I have a preset item labeled haircut for $30, and I go to checkout a client, and want to discount it, is there a way to override that set amount?

Message 4 of 7

Hello @Netty218, another community member asked the questions about tips earlier. Check out EJ's answer above in regards to tips! 

Currently we don't have the ability to override a set price on Square Point of Sale. If you want to reduce the price of an item I recommend setting up a discount! Discounts can be a fixed price or variable. Check out our Support Center on how to Create and Manage Discounts

Message 5 of 7
Beta Member

We really really really need to have the "tip screen" to pop up when using the "More" payment type. Our Cafe is in a hospital, and on a separate system, we swipe the hospital staff's employee badge, and the transaction goes right to the hospitals payroll system and we get a check every 2 wks for those purchases.  On Square we record this badge payment on "More - Check" -- we use "More - Other Payment Types" for monthly billing charges to department of the hospital, we have not converted to invoices yet.  The "badge swipe" is now 50% of our payments -- most hospital staff don't carry wallets -- just their name badge -- we are missing out on a substantial amount of tips.  Only thought of a solution is to create a 3rd screen for "$ tip values" they could select.  I'd rather not create a work around when "Smart Tips" exist -- just need to be allowed for "other payment types" beyond credit cards -- which Square has a vested interested in with CC's.  thank you!!!!

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

@McBrides thank you very much for sharing your feedback. Knowing just how important this tipping feature is to you and your hospital is really helpful. 

I will be sure to share this with our Development Team, but as a workaround for now, similar to what you suggested, you can create a custom amount item and call it "tipping" and add your percentage there, or dollar amount tip there. You can filter your tip sales that way as well and keep everything on one checkout screen.

I hope this helps, but please let me know if you have any other questions or feedback. Thank you!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 7