x

How can I accept international credit cards? Zip code keeps declining.

I live in US, my customer lives in Canada. I've entered all her info correctly. But it keeps saying declined verify zipcode.. which I have 5 times.

Message 1 of 53
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi everyone!

While you can accept International Cards, you will need all of the information to be 100% correct. If you're receiving an incorrect ZIP or Postal Code message, you'll need to have your customer verify this information with their bank. 

When you enter card information in manually, we cross-reference the information to what the bank has on file. If any of that information comes back as incorrect, the payment will decline. 

In regards to @VanKalkerFarms comment, if your Square account was created in the United States, but you're traveling to a different country like Canada, you would not be able to process payments, as you can only process payments in the country that you activated your account in. We do not have cross-border functionality even though Canada is one of our supported countries. 

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 53
52 REPLIES 52

I'm traveling in Canada with a Square Register from the US. I tried to accept payment and got an error message, something like "invalid location" 

How do I accept payments when traveling to Canada from the US? 

Message 2 of 53
Admin

Sorry for the late reply @dchapin!

EJ's best answer above has a bit more detail, but if you set up your account in the US you won't be able to accept payments while you're in Canada.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 53
Super Seller

Message 4 of 53

Rules do say Canada is included . I am having the same problem. I think it's because they have letters in their zipcodes

Message 5 of 53

Best Answer

Hi everyone!

While you can accept International Cards, you will need all of the information to be 100% correct. If you're receiving an incorrect ZIP or Postal Code message, you'll need to have your customer verify this information with their bank. 

When you enter card information in manually, we cross-reference the information to what the bank has on file. If any of that information comes back as incorrect, the payment will decline. 

In regards to @VanKalkerFarms comment, if your Square account was created in the United States, but you're traveling to a different country like Canada, you would not be able to process payments, as you can only process payments in the country that you activated your account in. We do not have cross-border functionality even though Canada is one of our supported countries. 

Message 6 of 53

I am having the same issue, and I've cross checked and validated the information is correct. I am still having issues with what I think is the zip code being from another country.  If the country separates numbers and letters ie "1234 AB"  what would your recomended entry be? I've tried what seems like every way to enter it but keep getting denied.  

Message 7 of 53

Did this issue finally get resolved for you? We have Canadian clients who will be visiting Florida for a seminar and we want to use the Square Online Store to process their credit cards for registrations. Thanks in advance for your response!

Message 8 of 53

I have take international cc From Hong Kong and they don’t have a zip code I googled it it told me to use 00000 I did and it went through hope this helps 

Message 9 of 53
Beta Member

Was this issue  ever  resolved? I have  the same issue

We bring the Stage to the World
Message 10 of 53

Hey @onstageplus, sorry to hear that you've encountered this issue! As per some of the other suggestions on this thread, have you tried advising your customers to enter 0000 or 1111 as a Zip code? 

If you continue to run into the issue, we'd recommend getting in touch with our Customer Success team, as they would have better visibility on your account and be better equipped to troubleshoot the issue. 

Message 11 of 53

Hi EJ,

I am having an issue where an international customer is trying to purchase an item. The item is digital and will be emailed to them.

They keep getting declined. They have double and triple-checked all of their payment information with their bank and are certain the info is 100% correct.

Please advise how to rectify this so that I can accept the order.

Thanks!

Message 12 of 53
Admin

Hey @Jen_Tidwell — Tom stepping in for EJ here today. I'm sorry to hear about the trouble with this payment. We aren't able to access and share payment-specifics in our online forums for privacy purposes, though I was able escalate your post. A member of our Support Team is actively looking into this for you and will be in touch at the email that's tied to your Square account with more clarity as soon as possible. Apologies for the frustration and thanks for your patience.

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 13 of 53

Did you try putting 5 Zeros in Zip code ?

Message 14 of 53

I have a problem to accept internation cards from Brazil. I live in Houston and my customers are from Brazil. Now, I tried to make a payment using the online terminal and the card was declined. The customer is here at my office and I don't know what else I can do. can someone help me? 

Message 15 of 53
Alumni

Hi @niustudio - Sorry for the trouble! Did you try inputting a zip code of 00000? That might help the payment go through. However, if a card is declined, it could be a problem with the buyer's bank/card. We can't speak to account specifics here, but if you want to learn more, feel free to reach out to a member of our team over email or by the phone

Message 16 of 53

We are in the US - one of our customers is in Trinidad &Tobago - they don't have zip codes. I've tried all 00000 and 11111 and neither will process. HELP! I am at risk of losing customers. We do a LOT of international sales. 

Message 17 of 53

Hey @RonV! You can still enter postal codes for international cards! On Virtual Terminal or the Point of Sale app you will be able to enter letters along with numbers. 😀

Message 18 of 53

I am trying to accept an international credit card payment from the Faroe Islands.  It just keeps saying declined.  Any suggestions.  

Message 19 of 53

Hi! I'm in the states, using my square cc reader from the same place I set it up and I'm trying to charge an Australian card. Postal code only has 4 digits. The card keeps declining. I've tried putting in 5 zeros but that just makes the thing upset and beeps at me/light turns red. What may be the issue? I've asked the customer to call their bank as it may be they are blocking these kinds of transactions. But please advise? Thank you - Joana

Message 20 of 53

Hi @JRocha,

Sorry to hear about the frustrating experience here! Are you processing this sale on your reader, or online? A post code should not be required when making in- person card payments on your reader. I'll keep an eye out for your reply! 

Message 21 of 53