x

Pairs with Android phone, tries to connect but keeps disconnecting. (Contactless + Chip Reader)

Pairs with Android phone, tries to connect but keeps disconnecting. (Contactless + Chip Reader)

Message 1 of 24
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Pairs with Android phone, tries to connect but keeps disconnecting. (Contactless + Chip Reader)

Hi @laughteraid and @CustomGifts4You, let's try to get your contactless and chip readers back on track.

The first thing I'd recommend is that you ensure you're using a supported device (http://square.com/compatibility), that your device's software is up to date, and that you've downloaded the latest version of the Square app.

Once you've done that, try turning Bluetooth off and then on again. You may also want to force quit the Square app and reopen it, or turn your Android phone off and then back on again.

This full list of troubleshooting steps typically solves connection issues for our sellers: http://squ.re/1TcYWmp. If you're still having issues, get in touch and we'll put you in touch with someone on our Support team.

23 REPLIES 23

I just received my new reader and am having the same issue!  Going to try to call someone today.

Message 2 of 24

We continue to have problems with the new chip card reader.  Says reader not ready - has happened with staff on their iphones as well as android phones.  Had this problem a few months ago - then started working and now back to not working.  Very frustrating!

Message 3 of 24
Alumni

Hi @cfce, sorry you're having issues. I've combined your message with this one, since it seems you're having similar issues. Please look at the verified answer above. If you're still having issues, we'll dig in further.

Message 4 of 24
Alumni

Hi @laughteraid and @CustomGifts4You, let's try to get your contactless and chip readers back on track.

The first thing I'd recommend is that you ensure you're using a supported device (http://square.com/compatibility), that your device's software is up to date, and that you've downloaded the latest version of the Square app.

Once you've done that, try turning Bluetooth off and then on again. You may also want to force quit the Square app and reopen it, or turn your Android phone off and then back on again.

This full list of troubleshooting steps typically solves connection issues for our sellers: http://squ.re/1TcYWmp. If you're still having issues, get in touch and we'll put you in touch with someone on our Support team.

Message 5 of 24
Beta Member

Hmm, I thought the Square App cannot be used with Bluetooth on Android. Has that been changed?

Message 6 of 24
Square

@toyssamurai - It definitely works with bluetooth (BLE) technology. 🙃

@laughteraid @jbartos - Have you already had a chance to reach out and talk with a supporter? They'll walk through the troubleshooting steps, and then if they don't work, they'll walk you through a warranty exchange.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 7 of 24

I have had contact from support and have not yet had a successful pairing with Motorola Droid Turbo 2.  I will try again and if it doesn't work will try another unit.

Message 8 of 24
Square

@jbartos - They'll be sure to get you taken care of! 👍

Sean
he/him/his
Message 9 of 24

I've done all of this and am quite upset. I can't find a phone # to call anyone. Could you give me the #

Message 10 of 24

Just FYI, after the most recent app updates, my wireess chip reader now connects to my Droid Turbo 2.  

Message 11 of 24

yeah.. same.. tried to post this last night but wanted to post the current update # which is 4.54

I have checked after every upate.. and this was the first time it worked 

Which saves me from having to buy another phone.

Message 12 of 24
Square

@jbartos @rdks - Glad to hear you've had a good experience with the update! 

@Katlie - Have you already had a chance to check for updates? Were you able to track down your customer code? There are more details on that process in this thread

Sean
he/him/his
Message 13 of 24

I am having the same issue of the reader pairing up, but when the upgrade starts for the Contactless + Chip reader, it disconnects itself.  I have tried everything in the Troubleshooting page for this device.  I emailed Customer Service and they just copy-pasted the same information as the troubleshooting page. 

At one time, I was able to keep it paired and download 22% of the update when I removed the "Localization" permissions for the App.  However, I got a message in the App requesting for me to turn this on again and it disconnected the reader again at that point.  I've tried it again and I'm unable to get it this far again.

Does anyone else have an idea of what else we can do?

Message 14 of 24

I forgot to mention that I'm using a Motorola Droid Turbo 2 with Android v.6.0.  The latest version that I'm allowed to download in the Google Play Store for Square POS is v.4.40.2.

Please help!

Message 15 of 24

I am having the same problem with my droid turbo 2. It will connect then disconnect, after that it show that the reader is unavailable. I have used this reader with the droid turbo with no problems, so I don't understand why it won't work with the turbo 2. I have also tried everything in the troubleshooting and nothing works. Please help!
Message 16 of 24

Same problem with my Droid Turbo 2.  Can't pair it.

Message 17 of 24

We keep having to remove the chip reader from the dock and power it back on and wait for it to reconnect is there a way to change that.

Message 18 of 24
Square

Check out George's tips above to help get you back on track! 

Message 19 of 24

curious.. i have the droid turbo 2 as well.. and have the same issue with the disconnecting after pairing..

Has there been a solution for this yet?

Message 20 of 24

I have not been able to get the unit to stay connected with the Turbo 2 and it is not usable. I have not talked to support yet, but plan to reach out soon.

Message 21 of 24