x
Beta Member

Does Square Point of Sale support Bitcoin as a currency option?

I use Square Point of Sale for my restaurant and a few customers have asked if I can accept Bitcoin.  I've seen a few articles stating that the point of sale app will add support sometime soon, but I haven't been able to find out any more about that.

Does Square Point of Sale support Bitcoin?  If not, are there plans to add that support in the near future?  And, if it is available, it needs to be pretty simple so I can train all the staff to use it. 

thanks.

The title of this post has been edited from the original: Square Point of Sale support Bitcoin?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 109
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Can I accept crypto currencies?

Hey @MetaJoe!

Good question. At this time, Square POS does not accept bitcoin or crypto currency payments.

Take a look at the best answer in this thread for a workaround suggestion. 

1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

It is not currently supported directly.  That would be interesting to accept but many people are scared of it as it is a virtual currency that fluctuates wildly sometimes.

You could accept bitcoin payment directly to your Bitcoin wallet and use Square Register and mark it as "other" in the payment field.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 109
108 REPLIES 108
Super Seller

Best Answer

It is not currently supported directly.  That would be interesting to accept but many people are scared of it as it is a virtual currency that fluctuates wildly sometimes.

You could accept bitcoin payment directly to your Bitcoin wallet and use Square Register and mark it as "other" in the payment field.

Message 2 of 109
Square

@VanKalkerFarms - Thanks for your help with this one, and great suggestion! 

@berkeleyraleigh -  Would you mind marking VanKalkerFarms's reply as "Best Answer"? That'll help the rest of the community find this thread if they have the same question. Thanks, and welcome to the Seller Community!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 3 of 109

Would like to add interest in Bitcoin and other crypto support.

Stripe accepts it and so does Amazon. Would prefer to use square solution since the card readers are mobile and don't cost hundreds of dollars.

Vertical markets take whatever payment they can get in the field so would like to not develope twice and love how square handles payments now. But if no support for crypto then would have to move on.

Message 4 of 109

Hi! Block 11 provides Square users with a simple integration that works will all square products! Accepting Bitcoin has never been easier. If you're interested in learning how your business can accept Bitcoin while using Square products, check us out at Block-11.com 

Block-11.com

The easiest way for businesses to accept Bitcoin. 

Trey Hamilton

CEO/Co-Founder 

Message 5 of 109

I would like to accept bitcoin as well. Thanks

Message 6 of 109

Block-11.com, the easiest way to accept Bitcoin! Our products integrate with all Square Point of Sale Tablets. Be sure to check us out! 

Message 7 of 109

I would like to accept Bitcoin as well. Thank you.

Message 8 of 109

I’d like to have customers send Bitcoin directly to my BTC holding wallet used on my CashApp, but I’ve noticed the Address is always changing... how can I get both the Public BTC Address & the Private Key for my own use?

Cameron Korth
Message 9 of 109

If you don't have the private key then it's a big problem because whoever has the key can access and move your bitcoins whenever he wants. The private key must be only yours. Your wallet address can change, that's normal.

Message 10 of 109

The cash app does not support using your private key they hold custody of your Bitcoin

Message 11 of 109

Ok, then the safest thing to do is moving the bitcoins every few days to your wallet, in this way you actually own the bitcoins otherwise, technically, Cash App owns them and if tomorrow they disappear, your bitcoins will disappear with them.

Message 12 of 109

Cash App is a custodial hot wallet just as any exchange is setup. Don’t hold your Bitcoin in cash app very long.

Cameron Korth
Message 13 of 109

Block-11.com can help you with this! Our Bitcoin Lightning Node will store a permanent company wallet. Our device integrates with the Square POS and other devices. Check us out! 

Block-11.com 

Message 14 of 109

With that, use an Interledger Payment!

Cameron Korth
Message 15 of 109

Try to integrate Nimiq.com  Salamantex (Austria) https://www.salamantex.com/en/ will do so.

Message 16 of 109
Square Community Moderator

Thanks for adding your tips here, @mikaelarhelger!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 17 of 109

Is there an update to this?  We would like to accept Bitcoin or Litecoin through Square, as well.  

Message 18 of 109
Alumni

Hi @FinchsCreedmoor 👋

Thanks for making your first post to the community!

We don't have an update on this - but I will be sure to let our Product Team know that you are looking for this feature. In the meantime, @VanKalkerFarms shared a great way to accept Bitcoin or Litecoin now. 

I hope that helps - feel free to post again with any questions. 

Message 19 of 109

Thank you Russell.  We currently run our crypto payments through BitPay, but it does make accounting a bit messier.  Looking forward to Square integrating this into their payments options.

Message 20 of 109

Is there any update on this? It would be great to see square integrate litecoin and bitcoin.

My restaurants get requests all the time to accept these coins, espically litecoin since the user transactions fees are next to nothing, while bitcoin transactions fees currently range between $2 - $5 for a small transaction amount.

Any update would be appreciated. Thanks.

Message 21 of 109