x

How do I set up an "Eat In" tax?

We own a carry out and dine in restaurant.  The issue is that in the state of Ohio, if you dine-in a facility, you are to tax the whole food order; If you carry-out or use the drive through, the order is tax-exempt with the exception of beverages.  This is commonly called the "Eat-in" tax.  How can we set up our square registers to allower our cashiers to select "Dine in" or "Carry out" so that it applies the appropriate tax?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Square Community Moderator

Hello!

You can use tax rules in tandem with dining options to make sure all of your orders are taxed correctly – whether they're "for here" or "to go.". Tax rules work hand in hand with dining options by omitting tax rates when a specific dining option is applied to an item or sale.

You can read up on Conditional Taxes and Dining Options in our Support Center.

Message 2 of 4

Hi,

We have an on-site bar with to go beer, which we sell by the can for onsite consumption and in six packs and singles to go. 

To go is taxed different.  Can I create an item with different costs and different taxes?

Message 3 of 4
Square Community Moderator

Hi! Thanks for reaching out and welcome to the Seller Community. 🙂 I've merged your post with an existing thread that, while a short answer, will help get you on the right track. We offer something called conditional taxes and dining options that will allow your tax rate to change depending on the dining option selected during the checkout/tender process. 

Please let me know if you have any further questions for this!

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 4