x

Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader not charging

Our Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader will not hold a charge. We have tried several USB cords but the reader will no longer accept a charge. Any ideas? Thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Alumni

Hi @TriGlides, that must be frustrating. I have a few tips.

First, get an accurate battery reading. This article shows you how: http://squ.re/1MI5kUg

For best performance, you'll want to charge your reader regularly, especially when you're using it for multiple days at a time. Don't let the reader sit too long between charges. You also will want to make sure the reader isn't sitting on a metal counter or anything conductive, since it'll consume more power and take fewer payments per charge cycle.

If, after going through these tips and best practices, your reader still won't hold a charge, you may need to send it back in to us. Here's how to process a warranty request: http://squ.re/1nBId2z

Message 2 of 7

I had the exact same problem with mine. After contacting square support and not hearing back from i tried the follow and it worked...

Hold down the power button for 30 seconds then release it. Use a SIM eject tool or some other pointed object.

It should work as normal now. I can only assume this resets the device but it did not interfer with the settings i had already stored and the reader did not need pairing again with the register. I wish I had of tried this sooner rather than waiting for Square support and looking for my backup chip reader.

Message 3 of 7

JediZed...your fix did the trick.  Thanks.  Piece o' cake!  😉

Message 4 of 7

This also worked for me with the same problem. Note, however, that for me I had to have the reader unplugged from power for this to work.

Message 5 of 7

I used to be able to charge my reader and then use it for a few hours at an event. Recently I'm finding that if I charge it up, it only works long enough to read a few cards before telling me it needs to be charged again. Please let me know how I can get it back to holding charge properly.

Message 6 of 7
Square Community Moderator

Hi @antoni0 - thanks for letting us know about this. So sorry for the trouble this is causing!

I've gone ahead and merged your post with a thread of other Sellers who encountered similar issues. Let me know if their workarounds are helpful. I want to make sure this gets resolved for you!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 7