x

Can I use the reader for personal use a NON company

I run a very small DJ business I only charge a small amount the company is Not a registered company because we do nto charge any sales tax.. Can I use the reader without a business? If so what do I have to do?  I read that they report to the IRS . I do not want to cause any issues with the IRS so Not sure. 

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

Message 2 of 9

That answers a question I had but when I fill out the registration form, it asks for the name and type of my business. What do I do with that?

Message 3 of 9
Square

@cguchek - I suggest selecting the option that best matches what type of business you have. If you can't find one, for general use, I'd suggest the "Individual Use" option. 👍 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 9

I don't see an individual option. So I used Casual Use.

Message 5 of 9
Square

@cguchek - Apologies for the confusion, I think that is how this option appears for our sellers. 🙂  Welcome! 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 6 of 9

Thank you!

Message 7 of 9

I can use the reader for personal. I have a question about tax. If I do not have $20000 gross sale and 200 transactions, do I need to pay tax in the end of year. If so, what kind of tax form do I use?

Message 8 of 9
Super Seller

You'll need to consult with your accountant in regards to your specific income and tax reporting needs. In general, regardless of what sort of payments you're taking, the IRS requires you to report income. Just because Square doesn't send the IRS a report about your business doesn't mean the IRS can't discover you're making money.

Message 9 of 9