x

Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Is there a way 2 take partial payments 4 an invoice?

2 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Little late with an update here, but wanted to make sure y'all know this is possible with Square Progress Invoices!

You can schedule multiple payments on a Square Invoice by following these steps 

Joe
Verified Answer

Re: Is there a way to make partial payments towards an invoice?

Hi there, @LiaJmt - thanks for adding your voice here and checking in on this feature! Good to hear from you. Same to you, @BIONICONE - welcome! 

You may be looking specifically for our newly introduced Deposit Feature for Invoices. This will also allow you to create a single invoice to track multiple payments and reduce the amount of time you have to spend reconciling multiple payments (deposit, follow-up payments) to a single transaction or sale.

Let me know if this is what you're looking for! 

336 Comments
Alumni

Hi @KatieA - thanks for chiming in on this, I'll definitely let the Product Team know you are also looking to take partial payments. 

Also, make sure to take a look at the update on partial payments that @rohini from our Invoices team posted. 

Hey Sean, thanks for the work around. Is there a way for you to mark payment once an invoice is sent ? For example if the client sends a check or pays cash ? 

Same boat here.    We allow some locals to run a tab,  and while Ideally we'd love them to pay it in full  sometimes they just want to pay a portion of it.     It would be awesome to be able to accept a partial payment on an open ticket.  

Hey @Tash26, Sean recently moved to another position at Square. 

To answer your question, yes this is possible. On your Square Dashboard head to Invoices tab. From here you should see a list of your invoices for a given date range. if you click on the invoice a new window will pop out on the right. Then select More in this new window and you will see the option to mark the invoice as paid! 😉

Not a solution. Discount does not reflect payment. Just please don't make up solutions. What happens with Sales tax in this case

I too am very interested in the partial payment as my business requires a deposit to order a product with the remaining balance due at time of pickup or delivery.

My customers have huge jobs done that cost a lot of money. I have worked out payment arrangements with them so they can afford to have the work performed. I need to be able to do partial payments. I am sorry, but being in business for many many many years, and handling A/R for many many many years, I have always had the option to accept partial payments to an invoice and the invoice then reflects the balance now due. This shouldn't even be an option that is being discussed when it comes to invoicing and payments.

Exactly.

I suggest the customer should be able to pay any amount they want, not locked into certain percentages. This seems like it would give the most flexibility. 

There could be added options to the invoice creation process:

- allow partial payment [yes/no]

- set minimum payment percentage

- set specific payment percentages/dates

Something along those lines? I'd be happy with just the first one. Maybe you are a monthly retainer business but you have a client with choppy cash flow.  They might want to pay smaller chunks throughout the month and knock it down as they can. Forcing a certain percentage or structure isn't necessarily ideal. Although right now it's forced at 100% which definitely isn't ideal!

Which invoicing services offer partial online payments? I haven't been able to find one. I did see that Invoice Sherpa does, but that's an add-on for Xero, Freshbooks, etc. Those combinations can get costly for those of us who only do only a few invoices a month.