x

Magstripe Reader Doesn't Work

I have yet to have success getting my magstripe reader to work. I am using a Digiland tablet. When I go to do a test transaction, I swipe the card and nothing happens. The "charge" button is gray, so it appears that my card reader is not being acknowledged. It is plugged in correctly, because the headphone icon shows up. I have gone through all the standard troubleshooting steps and nothing seems to work. Help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Super Seller

Message 2 of 9

I am having the same problem. My card reader doesn't work. It acts like the reader is not accepting anything. I am using a Motorola Moto G which is on the list for compatibility.  Could it be faulty?

Message 3 of 9
Admin

Hey @evad250, sorry to hear that you're encountering trouble as well. The Motorola Moto G should definitly be working with the magstripe reader. If these troubleshooting tips don't get you where you need to be, you may want to try a free replacement. Let us know if anything else comes up!

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 4 of 9

It still doesn't work. I even had a friend that is also a square customer try it in his phone that works with his card reader and it did not work on his phone either.  It is like it is just not connecting to anything or just is faulty.

Message 5 of 9
Admin

Sorry for the frustration @evad250. As Tom recommended, you can order a new reader from the app or your online Dashboard.

If you need a replacement right away you can buy a reader at a participating retail stores. They cost $10 but we'll reimburse you, just follow the steps in the packaging. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 6 of 9

The free square reader doesn't fit my device; how can I exchange for one that does?

Message 7 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hi @ApricityFlowers and welcome to the Community.

I moved your post to an existing thread that goes over the free reader not fitting and lists our Compatibility page where you can see which readers are compatible with your phone. 

Check out the link in the first response to see which would be compatible with your specific device and keep in mind we do not do exchanges for the free readers as they are free.

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 8 of 9

Thank you for your response, but I am perplexed as to why you don't exchange it when I have the wrong one?  How can I use your service if you sent me the wrong device?

Message 9 of 9