x

Cannot open cash drawer in new POS

Hi!

Im new but ill get to the point.

Both are the same Samsung Tablets. Just differnt sizes.

My current pos has 8inch tablet running Android 6.0.1 and is running with star printer and driving a cash drawer no problems. Both with current Square update. Im happy with it.

I have the same setup but with a 10inch Android 6.0.1, printer works but wont pop the cash drawer. I have tried alot. Put the 8inch tablet on and "pop" it works fine.

Why is 10inch so painfully frustrating.

I have read countless fourm threads and decided to make my own to share the proplem.

What on earth am i overlooking?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8

Still no luck, i have tried turning off everything and pluging it in with all new cables. Power it all on. Same thing. 8inch printing and poping. 10inch printing and not poping. I will keep trying to get this going. Is it possible  firmware had a issue with square software..? Sure its going to be differnt but is it possible to check?

Message 2 of 9
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Heavenlea

How were you connecting to your Cash Drawer & Printer?

That does sound a bit strange since it's working on one device and not the other. 

Message 3 of 9

@EJ_ it's connected via OTG to usb printer cable,  then to star printer. I can put a hub in beetween to run my honeywell scanner also no problems at the same time. I switched everything around this morning again and still the same. 8 inch wins.... @EJ_

The cash drawer is pluged into the printer. Printer is in charge of pushing it out.  TSP650 PRINTER

Message 4 of 9

Thanks for clarifying @Heavenlea

That's very odd. It sounds like it could have something with the devices On-The-Go or Host mode not recognizing the USB Printer. 

Have you tried reaching out to the device Support Center? They might have more information on issues pertaining to 3rd party hardware and USB On-The-Go features and what could be causing this. 

It sounds like you're doing everything right from the Square side of things. 

Message 5 of 9

@EJ_ thanks for the response! Still having the issue. I further tried 2 other otg and a spair set of other cables. I got a feeling it has to be a android thing as every time i put the 8inch on theres no problems. Every time. I will see if the support has any insight. Thanks again

Message 6 of 9

@Heavenlea Let us all know if you find a solution!

Message 7 of 9

@EJ_ Hey Looks like i got it working, i changed some of the switches under the printer , numbers 5 7 and 8 and also i updated to android 7 ISO, i unplugged everything and took the time (as i had a hangover) and put it all together and started playing around, like made a cash draw amount and fake transactions, still wasnt working, then i went to the signature and recipt, and i selected Sign on printed recipt, and BANG! she opened.

Dont really,,,,,, understand what happended, but shes working and i didnt know how to react at that moment *LOLz*. But im glad its working. 

Thanks For your support @EJ_, it helped me continue trobbleshooting. Now i can setup the new POS and run it.

🙂

Message 8 of 9
Alumni

Hey @Heavenlea - Checking in for EJ here, but so glad you figured it out! Thanks for sharing your insight with the rest of the Community as well. I'm sure it will come in handy for other Sellers if they run into a similar issue.

(Also, I'm throwing you all the props for resolving this with a hangover. 👌🏼)

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 9 of 9